Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Default Misty Fjords

Hi
I am taking my first cruise (actually a cruisetour) in August. I was looking at the website for Ketchican and noticed there are quite a few companys offering flightseeing tours to Misty Fjords. All pretty much have the same price($199 per person), the big variation seems to be the time spent during the lake landing portion. One company, Pacific Airways, cuts the price to $179. What I was wondering is does anyone have a preferance to any company and why. I was leaning towards Pacific Airways because theirs was actually the quickest and we won't have a lot of time in port. Thank you for any advice.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:11 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Misty Fjords

If you can afford the extra $20 appiece, I would highly recomend Island Wings. Check out Michelle's web sight. She was the best. A very compitent and yet personable pilot. She flies a reall nice De Haviland Beaver and knows how to do it right.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:34 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

Old June 26th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Admiral

I have flown Misty fjords with Southeast Aviation, Carlin Air and Island Wings and actually any Ketchikan vender will give a great tour. The off plane "walk" isn't a must do and if your time frame fits best with the above vender- then book it. The best of this "tour" is the sights during the flight.
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Yeoman

michelle of island wings hands down. she is the best and does a great tour and lets you get out of the plane on a lake and walk around for almost 1/2 hr. she really is a good pilot and has a good safe plane. they pick you up right in front of the rain gage by the visitors center. have a good time.

Old June 27th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Admiral

"michelle of island wings hands down. she is the best and does a great tour and lets you get out of the plane on a lake and walk around for almost 1/2 hr. she really is a good pilot and has a good safe plane. they pick you up right in front of the rain gage by the visitors center. have a good time."

BUT have you gone with any others??? I don't know of any Ketchikan flightseeing venders that won't give a great tour.
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:01 AM
famwald

We just returned from an Alaska cruise, booked a Ketchikan seaplane excursion through our cruise line, and it was with ProMech. I was disappointed in that the headsets did not work well for some of the passengers including mine, and halfway through the tour the pilot accidently cut the wire on his own headset and we had nothing after that. Bummer. Also, the "write up" by the cruise line for this excursion promised niced background music with our guided tour by the pilot. Never heard the first note.
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:29 AM
rshillman

Went with Southeat Aviation just 2 weeks ago. Marvelous pilot, good communications with headset... scenery was probably the greatest highlight of our trip (in addition to seeing the Mendenhall and Hubbard glaciers). We set down on the water for a few minutes and got out on the pontoons for a photo. Horsefly season had started, and they were enought to get us back into the plane within a few minutes, but no complaints from us regarding this floatplane company. Once back in the plane, we spotted a bear on the shoreline, so the pilot quietly floated us over to get a better glimpse, but the bear was gone by then.

Don't miss this awesone experience!
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Thank you everyone for the input. After a little more research I am heavily leaning towards Seawind Aviation or as the previous post stated Southeast Aviation,,,,in that order. Has anyone had an experience with Seawind? I am leaning towards them because they were the first to respond to my email request for infomation,,which may or may not be a good thing!! Thank you again for any input.

Ron
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Admiral

No, I have not even heard of Seawind?? (and I have been to Ketchikan many times). I do find people recommend booking tours they haven't even taken yet based on many factors, including how the reservation process went.
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Jim Spurgeon

Ron,

Take a look at seawindaviation.com

Steve Kamm is a great guide for the Mistys. He's a Ketchikan native that can give you a great tour. Knows the history and what to see in this beautiful part of the world.