Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Marion Paris

Default Rough Seas in Alaska?

Leaving July 5 out of San Francisco for 10 day Alaska cruise, first port Victoria.

Just received an email from a cruiser who said their Alaska cruise was the worst they had ever taken. She is a seasoned cruiser and this was their 4th cruise this year. Sailed on Regal Princess and said the seas were very rough and a lot of people were very ill. She even commented that there might have been something else going around the ship besides just the rough seas. Crew was very quiet about it.

She said they were very bored and there wasn't much to do on the ship.

We have three sea days and I would have thought that there would be a lot of planned activities, movies, lectures, etc. Guess I will find out soon enough.

Has anyone sailed to Alaska recently and experienced rough seas? We will also be on the Regal Princess - I am wondering if she doesn't take the seas as well as the newer ships, she is 15 years old now.

Your experience with Alaska seas and ports will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Rough Seas in Alaska?

While you are in the Pacific the seas will be rough but after that it's very smooth. Just take something for sea sickness the day before and until you get to the inside passage.
Old June 27th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Yes you can encounter rough sailing out of San Francisco. I find activities less on Alaska cruises compared to Caribbean. But I am sure you will find something of interest. As for Alaska sailing- over and over people post how it is "smooth as glass on the inside passage". NOT TRUE. Out of my 10 Alaska cruises- 3 encountered very rough sailing- all were round trip Vancouver- one trip with it lasting 3 days. You are on water in a boat- EXPECT movement. No guarantees anywhere you sailing in Alaska. If prone to seasickness- TAKE PRECAUTIONS.
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:53 AM
ute_fan

We did a round trip from Vancouver. The ship left on Sunday. Monday was quite rough. The rest of the trip was fine until Saturday, coming back. Gale - strong gale force winds, 7-12 foot waves, and rain. The ship channel on the TV had a message that the doors to the outdoor decks were locked due to strong winds. It was much rougher than our previous trip to the Caribbean. I wasn't conscious that a lot of people were sick, but my daughter was pretty queasy. Luckily the Bonine and ginger pills helped settle her stomach.
Old June 27th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Passenger

I would definitely prepare for rough seas. We came back on June 6th from an Alaskan cruise - the Norwegian Star. And the seas did get pretty rough. For the most part we found it quite funny, cause everyone was walking around like they were drunk! There was only one time that I got a bit nauseous, and I lay down for about 1-1/2 hours, and then I was fine. (But that's the first time I've ever gotten a little seasick). But regardless of the cruise line, you have to expect rough seas - you're out in the Pacific Ocean, so of course it's going to be rough!

Old June 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

i guess we've been lucky - out alaska cruise in Sept wil be our 5th alaskan cruise and we have never had rough seas - we usally go in the middle of September - again this year on the 15th - Carnival Spirit..I will hope for the best
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Marion Paris

Thanks everyone. We have only sailed out of the West coast once down to the Mexican Rivera and found it rough. We have sailed the Caribbean numerous times and always had smooth sailing. Funny thing..........dinner time was always a bit rough. Seemed like the Sea waited for dinner and then would rock and roll. I know what you mean about people looking like they were drunk!

Rocking motion has never bothered me - it is nice to know that you are really on a ship every now and then!

Thanks and smooth sailing everyone! Just 6 more days and I will find out myself how rough the Pacific can be.
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Yeoman

We were really lucky. Just got back from June 20th sailing and had no rough seas at all. Even sailing outside passage. Tv screen was on constant and the wave report was the same every time "slight 1.5-4 ft." But this was a strange week in Alaska anyway 8 straight days in Juneau of 80 degree weather and they were begging for rain. I think it broke some weather records that week.

Luanne

Old July 1st, 2004, 10:49 PM
missty1405

We were on the Dawn Princess from June 21 - 28th. The inside pasage. from Vancouver to Whittier. Never a rough moment ever! The waters was very smooth! The weather perfect.
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Passenger

look up noro virus online...that should answer any questions you have about rough seas.....