Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Default traitors cove bear watch

has anyone been on this tour? if so.............did you enjoy it? it is pricey so i hope we'll be able to see some bears!

thanks,
g
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: traitors cove bear watch

When are you going? - it has a narrow "peak window" meaning essentially the month of August. I would also book direct for more personal attention. I have gone to Neets Bay and Anan.
Old July 5th, 2004, 09:09 AM
TERBO40

Default Re: Re: traitors cove bear watch

We're boked to go to Anan with Island Wings the last week of July. Any advice for me?!
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Passenger

karen16,

we booked traitors cove for august 18, 04.

thanks,

g
Old July 5th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Usually bears are seen, but understand these are BLACK bears and not browns. (browns do appear at Anan early in the salmon runs but don't stick around more than a few days usually). Be prepared for walk, at Anan- you will have to listen to the ranger's "bear watching" guidelines. You are then unguided to the platform. Keep track of time. Traitor's cove is usually guided??
Old July 5th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Sonni

Was trying to make a decision between Neets Bay bear watch in Tongass or Traitors cove. Can anyone let me know which one is most spectacular? Also do you get a closer view with one over the other? Thanks
Old July 5th, 2004, 09:38 PM
TERBO40

Karen...
Is the end of July early enough to see brown bears at Anan or are we going to likely just see blacks? The browns were part of the reason I booked to Anan! They say the walk is an easy one on a boardwalk... is that so? About how long did the hike to the viewing take you and are there rangers at the viewing platform as well as when you arrive?
Thanks!
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Not likely to see browns that late at Anan, probably less than 10% chance. If you want browns- then go out of Juneau to Admirlity Island via Alaska Fly N Fish. It is about a 1/2 mile walk but some uneven paths along the shore and rocks. You can have very close views in Neets as the bears can come right along side you in the water. I have a photo of my son standing on shore- a "rope" behind him , and a bear right by in the water. They can be all alone the river. I haven't been to Traitors.
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Larry McDonald

Anan Creek-
Went to Anan Creek last Aug, 2004. Since then there have been some changes. First it is by permit only. Independents such as Island Wings have the permits available. Secondly, I believe they have also added a ranger to make the walk from the landing spot to the observatory. Please visit www.islandwings.com to confirm the changes or call to confirm the changes.

The price is also higher but still less than cruiseline prices with about 2 hrs at the observation platform. Depending upon how close to the bears you want to be, there is a covered stairway to a photo blind next to the water. You would be within a few feet of the bears. The platform was plenty close for me. It was just a few feet from the water and the small waterfall is directly in front of you.

Larry
Old July 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: Re: traitors cove bear watch

Karen'
Refresh please. Where, when and how much are brown bear viewing trips? From which ports? I know about denali but wondering about the fly in trips and comparative costs for salmon fishing bears closeup. I don't want to camp in the middle of them!!!
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Admiral

For clairfication- Denali Park browns are NOT salmon eating and about half the size of Coastal browns. Coastal browns- Pack Creek- fly in from Juneau- BE certain to go with and operator that has permits to the platform. Don't even consider one without them. Alaska Fly N Fish offers them. Many operators out of Homer- Emerald Air, Halo Bay, and many others, Anchorage- Rust's is a top operator. You are going to be looking at at least $400 pp. I'll be over $1000 for 2, myself out of Homer.
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:18 PM
kew

go on the neets tour if it's available