Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2004, 09:06 PM
ohShawncruiser

Default when is peak season over

Just want an overall opinion and reply to when the peak season is over on Alaska cruising. Want to send my Dad, but can't break the bank doing it. Also, would like to know how bad it is to go a week or two after peak season is over (late September? or early October), in terms of weather, reduced daylight hours etc.

I appreciate all intelligent responses.
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: when is peak season over

hi and welcome

how nice of you to want to give your father a cruise that is wonderful and something he will remember always.

i went last sept 10 and it was considered the ''' shoulder season'' for alaska. i was on the glacier bay 7 day roundtrip cruise out of vancouver on the carnival spirit and loved it. the cabin was much cheaper than in august, the kids were back in school and the bugs were all but gone. and the salmon were on the move so there was plenty of wild life around too be seen on and off the ship. as far as weather, it was a very nice climate for my cruise and no rain except for the day we were at sea. other than that i only wore a sweatshirt and had a nylon windbreaker handy in case of rain. may and sept are considered the off season times but they are the months i prefer weather and price wise. and in sept the shops in the ports and the ship gift shop has fabulous sales going on.

im sure he will have a wonderful time and will appriciate it very much. and make sure he gets to his port city a day ahead of time so he wont be stressed about missing the ship because of flight delays.

Old July 5th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Admiral

Default Re: when is peak season over

Peak season goes from beg of June to about the 3rd week in August. For clairfication- last Sept. was exceptional and VERY unusual for good weather. It wasn't the norm and usually isn't the case. I have gone the same timeframe and have had all the negatives I have described in the past. BUT it was always my second yearly trip and a significant bargain. I don't recommend past the first week of Sept for more "sure" weather chances. Better for- warmer temps, less rain and more daylight.