Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Nancy Aksiyote

Default Neets Bay Bear Watch Exibition

I just booked the Neets Bay Bear Watch Exhibition in Ketchikan for July 23rd. Now I am concerned that it maybe too early in the season to see bears. I assumed that if they offered the tour you would see bears. I hope I'm not wrong. Has anyone actually been to Neets Bay around this date in previous years?
Thanks in advance....

Also, are you allowed to bring a small backpack with you?
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Neets Bay Bear Watch Exibition

My opinion only- you are too early for Neets. I have been there in August with good sightings. One thing I ALWAYS research is PEAK time. I never would consider booking on the fringes. Overall out of Ketchikan- bear watching is best from the very end of July to the beg. of Sept. You need the full salmon runs. I don't want a tour spent the entire time waiting for bears- I want them there -and many of them, with established habits. This tour just opens July 20.
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Nancy Aksiyote

Default Re: Re: Neets Bay Bear Watch Exibition

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm sure that you're right. My only problem is my kids have heard so much about the bears and the salmon run for a friend of mine that went. It is the tour they are most looking forward to. I hate to spend the money and not see bears but I might have to take the chance.
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:12 PM
kew

Nancy, I use to work there doing the tours. It is early to see bears. There's always a good chance of seeing them but it's definitaly not as good as it will be a week later.

However I only saw two tours in two years that failed to see bears. And that's an average of 4-6 tours a day for ten weeks
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Kew, I have the Neets tour booked for Aug 5 (my birthday!). From your post, I'm feeling pretty confident (at least hopeful) we'll see at least 1 bear.

Having worked there, can you tell me what to expect? I heard/read (?) somewhere that the only thing between you and the bear is a rope - that you're in the grass next to the river and the bear are (hopefully) in the river. Is there any danger? Does the guide have a gun just in case a bear comes after a person? I hope there are ALOT of salmon to keep them occupied!

Old July 21st, 2004, 07:40 AM
Admiral

You should see bears. The black bears are very timid and essentially no risk to humans. Enjoy the views!!!
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM
jq

Default Re: Re: Neets Bay Bear Watch Exibition

Karen,
Do you have a couple of companies that offer this tour and their websites? So first week of Sep should still be peak?
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:22 PM
Admiral

No first week of Sept is just past peak. Look at www.visit-ketchikan.com several independents listed, including Island Wings and Carlin Air.