Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Default dog sled in alaska

Has anyone ever done the helicopter/dog sled tour in Juneau, Alaska? We are taking a Princess cruise next month and trying to decide whether its worth the money.
Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Lara

Default Re: dog sled in alaska

We did the dog sledding tour out of Juneau and it was one of our favorite excursions. We flew over 4 different glaciers on our way out to the camp. Everyone in our group had fun (ages 9 - 85). Highly recommended. If you book through ERA on your own you can save money. They will pick you up from a parking lot just a couple of minutes walk from your dock, then drop you off in town or at the dock.

Lara
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Sherry B

Default Re: Re: dog sled in alaska

How do you get in touch with ERA for this excursion?
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Stewy

It was by far the highlight of our trip! If you happen to get Steve for a pilot please say hi! Worth all the $$$, Would do it again in a hartbeat. The sights you will see are amazing! Cristal clear ice, Deep caverns of blue ice,heck just to say you have stood on ice thats 1/4 mile thick and covered by 30' of snow is somthing. As they will say on ship....Get Out There!!!
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Beginner

We were thinking of going on the helicopter/dog-sled tour, but are not sure what to wear. Any recommendations?
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Passenger

As far as what to wear I have read on websites that you will need jacket, gloves and sunglasses. They provide boots for you if you dont have them. You can get more info on ERA from their website flightseeingtours.com. I am thinking of booking with a company called shore trips(shoretrips.com) they seem the most reasonable in price. Has anyone ever used them before? Also are there any other excursions that you would recommend in Alaska? Stewy, which company did you use when you did your dog sled excursion?
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Shore trips are middle men and I would never consider booking with them myself. ERA in the past will not book ship passengers as they have their contracts. Independent glacier dog sledding out of Juneau is via Coastal with Godwin's dogs. A bargain compared to ship tours. Book direct and forget middle men agencies. As for attire- layers- a lined jacket, boots provided. Be aware- Juneau glacier dog sledding is the most canceled of all Alaska excursions- Skagway less so. Book with TEMSCO out of Skagway for savings. I have been canceled upon twice- but have gotten to do "real" dog sledding- with my own sled during the winter at "dog sled school". You do have a driver on the above tours and you don't "drive" your own sled, but standing on the runners is an option.
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Karen,
Thanks for the tips on booking directly. I didnt know shore trips were the middle men. I found website for Godwin's dogs(alaskadogsled.com) same price as shore trips though. We plan on doing the dogsled excursion in Juneau as we have other plans while in Skagway. What kind of temps should I expect on this excursion? We leave next month. Thanks for your help!
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Lara

We had no problem booking directly with ERA. I told them upfront that we were on a cruiseship. They said they would even refund our money if the ship did not make it into port. TEMSCO is a very good option if you have children. They give you 50% off the adult price. The only reason we didn't try them was because we wanted to do horseback riding in the Yukon (another great tour).

We wore hiking boots, but they still asked us to put their boots over ours. By far the best thing to remember is your sun glasses, as the glare off the snow is intense on a sunny day.

Lara
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Margaret

We booked through TEMSCO and had a wonderful time. I would spend the money again to do this excursion. What a thrill to drive the sled over the glacier. Of course we had a guide but it was still fun to be in the 2nd sled.
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Beginner

Is it better to go dog-sledding in the morning or afternoon?
Old July 14th, 2004, 04:48 PM
sterlingsilver

Just talked to someone yesterday who had gone dog sledding earlier in the day and it was the highlight of their trip. Not inexpensive but I guess worth it.
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Admiral

Book what fits your schedule best- cancelations have no sure basis and happen anytime.