Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:05 PM
GranyCruz

Default Seattle vs Vancouver

I'm trying to plan a cruise for 7/05. Know nothing about the Alaska cruises. Wondered if there is any advantage to cruisng out of Seattle vs Vancouver. It would be much cheaper from Seattle airfare wise.
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

We cruised round trip from Vancouver and I think we got to see a bit more Alaska that way, I didn't mind spending the extra to get there directly. At least for us time was a factor and absolutely loved the cruise from there and also seeing some of Vancouver, lovely city.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:19 PM
ute_fan

We also chose to go from Vancouver for our trip in June. I do think you see a little bit more of Alaska that way. We flew into Seattle, as the rates were lots cheaper ($300 per person), and rented a van and drove to Vancouver. As there were 4 of us, it made more monetary sense to do it that way.
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Overall, Seattle sailing have more outside passage sailing and most do not go to Glacier Bay. Look at maps for a general idea, the exception is some NCL sailings. I rarely fly into Vancouver and one way between there and Seatac most of the time. I have gone with Quick Shuttle but most always drive. I have rented from Avis, Budget and National- you want a DOWNTOWN Vancouver rental. Allow 4 hours, so you need an overnight the night before if you don't have a real early arrival into Seattle. I also like staying in Bellingham - then just a short hour- to Canada Place- this then allows some time for seeing Vancouver.
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Thoth

Last year I flew into Vancouver and loved it. This coming week I am going out of Seattle. I'll have to post comparisons upon my return. The only bad thing about Vancouver was the airport was a nightmare the days I went through.
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:03 AM
GrannyCruz

Thanks for all the replys. Everytime I think I know what I want to do, I read something to make me rethink. It will probably be 2006 before I make up my mind! This is all so confusing for a new cruiser; Seattle vs Vancouver, freestyle vs standard, inside cabin vs balcony, NCL vs RCL!!
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Thoth

IMHO It's ALL good!! Most depends on what you like.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM
susus

We flew to Seattle and boarded the Norwegian Star in early June, 2004...It was wonderful....We had an amazing time...We did the Inside Passage, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican, and Victoria, BC....This was a dream vacation...Any questions, e-mail me...Susan
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just returned 7/17. We flew into SEA ($200 pp cheaper than YVR), stayed with friends there for a few nights (which we planned on doing anyway, not only because it was cheaper). Then we drove to Vancouver about 30 minutes to get through customs (USA-Canada), about a 3-1/2 drive, and stayed in Vancouver a few nights before our cruise. Returning, we had to take a taxi to the Avis rental (Avis reimbursed us for taxi fare) and drove back to SEA, only it took about an hour to get through customs this time (Canada-USA) ,took about 4 hours...Overall it was worth saving $800 (4 of us) minus the $100 for the car. Both Seattle and Vancouver are great!