Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Yeoman

Default I saw the cruise ships in Victoria tonight!

Gorgeous evening here tonight, was walking around the Inner Harbour, went through the lobby at the Empress and saw the bus from the cruise ship unload it's pax for the tea( why would you get more FOOD on a cruise I'll never know) . Friends and I drove down to the pier to see who was in town, it was the Oosterdam and the Diamond.
all i have to say is that our inner harbour area is so nice, that unless you get a tour to Butchard Gardens( yes it's worth it) then just shuttle or cab( or pedi cab) it into town and walk around. You can walk through the lobby of the Empress for free, ( have a drink in the Bengal lounge( think the British Raj) and then wander down by the water and see/hear all the buskers and artist, crafts people etc. .
The shops in that area( government street) stay open for the ships, and it is safe and clean to walk around!! Don't pay the big bucks to enjoy our city, locals just come downtown and wander around, try it!

The ships were beautiful!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Thoth

Default Re: I saw the cruise ships in Victoria tonight!

Thanks pg!! I'm looking forward to seeing Victoria on the NEXT sailing of the Oosterdam. Yea!!! My pre-booked and prepayed city tour includes a tour of the castle and high tea at the Empress Hotel. So food is included with high tea? GREAT, becouse I will miss second seating dining that day becouse we get into town at 8 pm. Who knows we might cross paths?
On 30 July If you see a tall man with a Southern Mississippi Golden Eagle on it, that should be me.
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Yeoman

Thoth, Tea is yummy , definately try the scones( like biscuits) with a layer of cream on them and then spread on the jam, that's the way to eat them and it is scrumptious!
Craigdarroh castle is nice, and you will get to drive through some nice areas to get to it.( mostly residental)
If you have time try a "walk about " the Inner harbour, then you'll get the true taste of Vctoria! It is a shame that the ships stop is so short!!!
Old July 18th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Yeoman

Thoth, Tea is yummy , definately try the scones( like biscuits) with a layer of cream on them and then spread on the jam, that's the way to eat them and it is scrumptious!
Craigdarroh castle is nice, and you will get to drive through some nice areas to get to it.( mostly residental)
If you have time try a "walk about " the Inner harbour, then you'll get the true taste of Vctoria! It is a shame that the ships stop is so short!!!
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Admiral

thoth- as mentioned on your other posts- the "food" at High Tea is very limited- you will get a platter of a few scones and biscuits perhaps a few other tea cakes, but certainly not a "meal". Unless a meal is specifically mentioned in your tour description- you can just about guarantee there isn't.
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Thoth

Thanks pg and Karen! I'll get some food on the Libdo before I go. They say Victoria is the most Engish city in North America. I lived in the UK for 2 years and loved their food, including the scones.