CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Icy Strait (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/247775-icy-strait.html)

james B. August 2nd, 2004 11:04 PM

Icy Strait

Does anyone know what would be good to do in Icy Strait. I am going on the Summit and any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Karen16 August 3rd, 2004 07:05 AM

Re: Icy Strait

head to www.cruisecritic.com Alaska board- hoonha boy is the expert resident who knows everything there.

jq August 3rd, 2004 11:37 AM

What date is your Summit Cruise? We are on the 9/3. Above reply re info is best. If you have your docs or go on Celebrities webpage, you can ready their descriptions of tours and time needed. Be aware that you will have less time in port than the brochure tells you--ares went from 8hrs to 6hrs. There are not many private tours except maybe fishing boat charters for fishing or?

james B. August 3rd, 2004 01:55 PM

I am going on 8/13 out of vancouver.

FloridaSue August 9th, 2004 08:58 PM

We loved Icy Straight!!! It is such a natural area that truly gives you the real feel of Alaska. The locals are all very excited to see you as thios is a new port for the cruise ships. We were on the Summit July 9th southbound from Anchorage and they told us that we were about the thrd of fourth cruise ship to come there. Everything is very new and nice. You can walk through a BEAUTIFL pine forest. I actually have a picture that I took in that forest as my screen saver on my computor at my office. No one can believe that I actually took the picture. It is really a beautiful place to slow down, take a walk, sit along the shore and actually watch wales if you are lucky as they swim by. The gift shops are nice as they are supporting the local economy which has been hurt by the loggin industry stopping there. I didn't do any excursions there, but so enjoyed being there. I would not have wanted to miss it. Others may not agree, but everyone likes differant things. Enjoy your cruise. wish we were going with you!!!

james B November 6th, 2004 06:10 PM

Whale watching was deffinatley the best! Saw a ton of whales

Thanks for the advice.

jq November 6th, 2004 11:48 PM

Re: Re: Icy Strait

James
Attached is link to our website with ISP pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy November 10th, 2004 05:51 AM

JQ - Is that you John Q? I wasn't able to follow the link to the photos.....could you post it again and maybe make the hyperlink active?

jq November 10th, 2004 09:10 AM

James B.
I think I saw your question on another board, but I will try to post photos here again. It doesn't seem to want to work but -----

http://www.community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

Howard,
It is I !!! Just trying to help spread the word. How is volleyball going? This site doesn't want to take the link. It has worked fine elsewhere? Must be a different setup.

JPR November 19th, 2004 08:40 PM

I was on the Summit this past June and really enjoyed ISP. My wife and I didn't take any tours there but we did go into town and enjoyed lunch at a small local dinner. I enjoyed the taking pictures of a place yet untouched by tourism. Please check out my Alaska photos at www.jprphotos.com

JPR

cruisingmom November 22nd, 2004 06:50 PM

We took this cruise last June 2004 and the only thing to do is Whale watching. We did see whales, but this is not the most exciting port you will be in. In the other ports we enjoyed the crabbing expedition more for the crab meal than anything else, best crab we have had in years and we live by the water. took also the train (i think in Ketchikan) to canada with the bus back through liarsville and enjoyed that a lot also. If you do the whale watching, make sure you go to the bottom of the ship, everyone else is on the top, my son discovered that if you are underneath, you can look out at all the windows and watch the whales jump out of the water near the boat and not wait until you view them from the top looking down. No wonder he sat underneath most of the time and the other 6 of us were on top! Simon Weir is your cruise director and FANTASTIC!!!!!! He will make the cruise for you with is nightly announcements. Besides his British accent and 6 foot 6 inch height, his sense of humor is outrageous! Ask him if he remembers the family with 5 kids last summer since we comprised 5% of all the kids on the whole cruise! The food is fabulous and truly is a 5.5 star experience! Enjoy.

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy January 13th, 2005 05:39 PM

HEY EVERYONE! I hope all is well in the lower 48 and beyond, and that your families are all healthy and happy. The summer of 2005 is nearing, and I just wanted to make myself available for anybody having questions concerning Icy Strait Point in Hoonah, Alaska - because I know many of you are still blind as to what Icy Strait Point is and what it has to offer. Well, here I am, the proud ambassador of a people and place where the spirit of Alaaqsaq is true and defining.......

GUNALCHEESH...

Koo Hook

Karen16 January 14th, 2005 07:42 AM

Hello Koo- I'll be in your fine city this year. Give me your gems for touring. I am strongly looking at the whale watching, but am open to some culture of your home.

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy January 14th, 2005 12:54 PM

Hi Karen - It's great to digimeet - yes, that's a new term I've coined for meeting people online. By any chance, are you "Budget Queen" from another cruiser site? The reason I ask, is because another woman had posted something to me and also said similar things, including "gems" ( which by the way I spelled JEM in elementary and lost out at the spelling bee) and "Hello Koo". My full name in Tlingit is actually Koo Hook - I know that as westerners we've become accustomed to first and last names, but in Tlingit culture, MANY things are different. So Koo Hook will be sufficient, thanks.

As far as whale watching---truly some of the more adventurous whale watching in Southeast. I speak from experience because I've been a naturalist aboard smaller cruiselines and we've gone just about EVERYWHERE in Southeast Alaska, and Icy Strait was always the favorite, and most active. It's teeming with life, and you never really know what you're going to get. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about some of the things I've seen there. Again, I've lived here all of my life, and have watched these whales out of my kitchen window for the entirety of my life, and it NEVER gets old. So whalewatching is most definatly TOP NOTCH here.....despite what Juneau may claim.

The remote bush exploration and brown bear search has also broughten favorable comments from our honored guests. I for one don't like "searching" for bears as a past time, because these guys are SCARY! They frequent the community quite often, and pretty much everyone will try and remain inside. However, the stations Icy Strait Point developed for Spasski River Valley are in very secure locations, with bear safety officers scouting the area.

Gosh, I can go on and on about the different things to do.....maybe when I get some more questions along these lines, I can discuss more. Anyhow Karen, it was great to digimeet, and hopefully we'll get to meet when you arrive at Icy Strait Point in Hoonah, ALASKA!!!!!

GUNALCHEESH (Thank you)

Koo Hook

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy January 14th, 2005 12:58 PM

BROUGHTEN????

Did I really say BROUGHTEN? LOL.....brought is my correction............

jq January 14th, 2005 02:22 PM

Re: BROUGHTEN????

Must be a new Tlingit word!!!

Karen16 January 15th, 2005 06:56 AM

Koo Hook- yes forgive me- I am Budget Queen. See you in August. :)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy January 19th, 2005 12:40 PM

Karen - Thank you for your interest in posting and I also look forward to your trip here. It'll be great to meet in person and experience the same thing at the same time......

Koo Hook