Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:36 AM
versley

Default Carnival Spirit Excursion Times

We are going to try doing some independent tours and some ship tours however I am having a hard time with setting up because of times.

Do they usually offer several time slots for the tours booked through the ship? Do they offer a choice of times? Has anyone booked the glacier flight out of Juneau on the Spirit?
Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Spirit Excursion Times

Are you talking a glacier helicopter landing?? Book direct with Coastal. What ship tours are you considering?
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:08 PM
versley

Default Re: Re: Carnival Spirit Excursion Times

We are loking at the floatplane out of Juneau. Hubby wants to do this one and does not want to do a helicopter. Saw too much of those in the Navy! He wants to fly over the glaciers. But not me!

Also could book it direct with SE Aviation out of Ketchikan as we have more daylight time there. More costly though and no guarantee enough others will book the glacier for the minimum to be reached. I figured booking on the ship would be safer because they probably would not have the problem with reaching minimums but would make time tight in Juneau.

In Juneau we only will be in port from 2pm - 11pm. Not many daylight hours in Sept. and we want to go to Mendanhall and we want to check out the par 3 golf course there (both on our own) so I am not sure we have the time for a 1 hr flight,especially if it's not as soon as we get there. That's the reason for asking about times.

In Skagway we want to do a Yukon tour either through the ship or independent. So that will be a full day probably, especially if we do the one from Frontier that include wheeled sled dog run.
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Lara

We cruised on the Spirit earlier this summer. We only did one tour booked through
the ship. This was the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest out of Sitka. By booking through the ship you can get on this tour directly from the ship. Most of the Spirit tours have a morning and afternoon booking time, however I'm not sure about flight tours (they may be even more specific on times).

Lara
Old August 7th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Admiral

I would look into Skagway- there are no glaciers that are close enough for a one hour flightseeing out of Ketchikan with ANY comparism to the Juneau icefield. I have flown out of Skagway and had good glacier viewing via plane- but frankly- no way near the excellent viewing from a helicopter- I have done probably over 30 flights in Alaska and the glaicer flightseeing via plane isn't in the top ten.
Old August 7th, 2004, 07:00 AM
versley

Default Re: Re: Carnival Spirit Excursion Times

The Juneau flights are 1 hour. Out of Ketchikan they all say 2 -2.5 hours. The only one I see out of Skayway offering this is Sagway Air. Are they any good? Dolly Varden also offers a tour out of Skagway but I assume they use Skagway Air.? Thanks for the advice about helicopters being better but my husband has his mind set so I am just collecting the facts.
Old August 8th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Dolly Varden is a booking agent only- book direct. Skagway Air is a great operator- long established.