Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:49 PM
First Mate

Default Alaska Land & Cruise Question

Hi:
Would love to hear from anyone who has taken the five day land and then seven day cruise on Princess as to how they packed for that. We just received our docs (we go in two weeks) and it says only a small bag is allowed that will fit under the seat of the train. Does this mean for the whole five days only a small bag is allowed? I'm having difficulty figuring out this one. I've been on a lot of cruises, but I've never packed separately for a land tour first. Call me a "dummy" but my husband leaves it up to me to get us organized and I usually do ok, but this one is a little tricky. Any info will be appreciated. We stay at the Fairbanks Princess the first two nights....does anyone know if I'll need to pack a hair dryer or not?
Thanks in advance.
Buddy
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska Land & Cruise Question

The seating on the train is assigned table style and you only have under your seat for storage- the size of a small backpack. 2 people ride backward. The rest of your bags are transferred directly to your hotel. If you want to see wildlife in Denali Park be certain to have the Tundra Wilderness tour and not the Natural History tour- up grade. Have a great trip.
Old August 7th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

My wife and myself are going in two weeks on a HAL cruisetour which has 8 land days. We take a train from Anchorage to Denali, spend the night, take the Tundra tour the following morning then take the train to Fairbanks. Our luggage will go directly from Anchorage to Fairbanks so the overnight bag is just for the one night we spend in Denali.
Old August 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM
aniedda

If you are staying more than one night at a lodge your baggage will be sent dierctly to the lodge. If you stay only one night at a lodge then usually they only let you have one bag. We just returned from a 5 night land, 7 day sea tour with Princess and we stayed 2 nights at Copper River, 2 nights at Denali, and 1 night in Anchorage. We had our luggage with us at every lodge/hotel. There is very limited space on the train under the seats. Your cruise documents should tell you exactly when you will and will not have your luggage. As for clothing, layers are the key. We lived in our hooded sweatshirts and didn't even take our raincoats out of the original packaging, the weather was great! We even wore shorts occassionally. I think that a few pairs of pants, 1 pair of jeans, 2 pair shorts, 5-6 t-shirt/polo shirts, 2-3 long sleeve t-shirts, lots of socks, 2 pairs of tennis/walking shoes, windbreaker, plus your evening wear: casual for non-formal nights, and formal wear for formal nights. Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.
Old August 7th, 2004, 12:26 PM
aniedda

One more thing... You shouldn't need to pack a hairdryer. Every lodge/hotel we stayed at had one and if they don't just ask the front desk.
Old August 7th, 2004, 08:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Alaska Land & Cruise Question

Thanks for all your help. My real name "Anita" sounds a lot like your name. Anyway, I'm really getting excited as we leave in two weeks and although I've been on 30 cruises, I've never been to Alaska before. Thanks again.

Buddy
Old August 8th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Jayce

We are going on the Princess ( Anchorage, Denali, Copper River ) tour, too. I'm curious as to what you did at the Princess Copper River. It looks pretty isolated. Did you need hiking boots ? My husband is saying I should buy them to take along. It sounds like a whole lot of clothes!!! Thanks for the suitcase clarification.
Old August 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Admiral

I think that a few pairs of pants, 1 pair of jeans, 2 pair shorts, 5-6 t-shirt/polo shirts, 2-3 long sleeve t-shirts, lots of socks, 2 pairs of tennis/walking shoes, windbreaker, plus your evening wear: casual for non-formal nights, and formal wear for formal nights. Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

This was OK for end of July and beg of August attire but NOT doable for later in August. You will need more long pants and warmer wear.

As for Copper River- the big attraction is Kennicott Mine- take a flight in, just excellent scenery. This is a VERY undeveloped area and not any accessable hiking trails WITHOUT your own transportation. The lodge is in the middle of nowhere- I do believe there is a shuttle bus to Cooper Center- the Roadhouse has excellent food.
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:05 AM
aniedda

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska Land & Cruise Question

At Copper River we hiked the Liberty Falls Trail - absolutely beautiful and a great workout! Then in the afternoon we did the whitewater rafting which was a blast, I would highly recommend it. On the rafting trip we passed an eagle on a rock eating a salmon, pretty cool. I really wanted to do the ATV ride, they go up around the Alaska pipeline and it looked like fun but there just wasn't enough time. I really wanted to do the Kennicott mine tour, but by this time my husband and I felt like we had gained 10 pounds from the cruise and we really wanted something more active. I don't regret my decision, next time around we will do the mine tour. Copper River Princess is pretty isolated, but that's not a bad thing. The grounds are absolutely lovely, our room was spacious and very comfortable with an exquisite view, the food was magnificent (the wings aren't to be missed!), and the scenery was spectacular. You will have a wonderful time!
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:45 PM
DonnaBenny

Yes, you can only take one thing to fit under your seat. However, we had extra carry ons and they just stowed them on the train and they were waiting for us when we got off. No problem. They didn't seem to mind at all.