Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Yeoman

Default how about rain in may?

i will be in skagway, junea and ketchikan next may 11 to the 18th. can someone tell me, if they have experienced the weather at this time of year, if it was the rainy season then or just the normal sketchy weather pattern? i am thinking about tours and am wondering if i should book the saxman/totom village tour when i get off the ship. i dont want to lock into something and then have a bad tour because of the likely hood of rain.

i know it is very unpreditable there and there is no guarentees. but are there rainy months and drier months? thanks so much.

Old August 8th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: how about rain in may?

May is dryer, BUT there are no guarantees- it is way too early to be worrying about weather next year.
Old August 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Alaska is considered a rain forest. Expect the unexpected. Ketchikan has the most rainfall.
We were in Alaska May 2003 and the weather was fantastic, but Ketchikan it did pour rain the whole time. All flight-seeing excursions were canceled.

Old August 9th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Yeoman

thanks y2c and karen16.

i get through the months before the cruise planning the great tours i will take and things i will do and see. so this IS NOT too early for me to think about the weather.

i was just asking about a weather pattern in general and know it is unpredictable. thanks again for replies.

Old August 9th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Admiral

It WILL rain. Take a slicker. You'll need it.
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:56 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: how about rain in may?

In last week of May, first week of June 2002, we only had one day of rain on drive back from denali to Anc. It was even dry in Ketchikan, misty in Sitka. But we did have grey skies and overcast most of the time except in anc and our last day in to Vanc. Weather mostly in the 60's. Blue sky was hard to find. I hope late Aug-early Sept are not going to be wetter this year!!!
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Susan Hofer

We were there the first week in May, 2003 w/sunny skies the whole time, temps 50-60's. But everyone we talked to in Alaska commented about the GREAT WEATHER. So we figured it was the exception rather than the rule. As an above poster said, expect anything and you won't be disappointed.
Old August 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Yeoman

thanks all for the info.

Old August 9th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Dennis B

I did an Alaskan Cruise in May 2000 and we didn't see a drop of rain the entire seven days - some friends cruised the year before 1999 and it rained most days and the following year 2001 it was a mix - so be prepared for almost anything weather wise - use one of the many internet weather sites and start checking the long range forecast about a month before departure this will give you some ideas of what it might be like.

One of the things about sailing early in the season other than better pricing is that many of the mountains still have there winter snows and if you get a nice sunny day that can provide a more dramatic bacdrop for your photos etc.

Dennis
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Passenger

I am on my way for the fifth Alaska trip tomorrow!
I went once in May of 2001 and it was very cold most of our trip. We loved it ......cold is why we go to Alaska. Also more elderly and less kids in May. And planning the whole thing months in advance is a big part of the fun!