Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Be_ann

Default White Pass Railway

Does one have to make a reservation to take the White Pass Railway in Skagway?

Or can one wait until we are there?

What is the fare without setting up an excursion? Or is this possible?

Thanks.

B.........
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: White Pass Railway

Hi B,
I tried booking that direct and was told that I had to do it through the cruiseline. I believe it was only a $10 difference, so we booked with the cruiseline. Depending on what cruiseline you are on, you may be able to pre-book it on their web-site.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Admiral

You can book at the depot- between 1st and 2nd and Spring and Broadway. This is best if you have a full port day meaning 7am arrival and at least 8pm departure. This would then give you the opportunity for 2 trips- either around 8:30 or noon. The train booked independently boards at the depot NOT the ship. I would be off the ship as soon as it clears and see what is available. Look at the docking schedule- if the port is loaded with 4 mega liners- unloading 10,000+++ passengers, availablity will be less. Be certain you are OK will not going if it is full otherwise book ahead.
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Passenger

From the price I saw on the Skagway website, the price was the same as the excursion price on the cruise line's website.

Old August 10th, 2004, 02:37 PM
alaskabound

The train is the thing to do in Skagway. It has open front and back doorways (no doors) so it can be cold so be prepared. We were fortunate w/ being in the 80's, which is very unusually, so it was fine and even a little too warm. I suggest booking ahead for the Noon train. Also there is possibility of fog so that you can not see as well or even heavy fog so that you can see very little. With heavy fog the train did give pax the option of getting off in town and a refund.
Old August 10th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Fondy

You can pre-book via their web-site. They say that you should book thru your cruise, but you don't have to. (I did book direct, but then the kids decided they didn't want to do this particular excursion so I canceled)

The benefit of booking via cruise-line is that the train picks up right on the docks. BUT when you book your own, you may luck out and not have nearly as many passengers as the train that picks up cruise passengers. (It's a short walk into Skagway anyway and a cute town to visit.)

I spoke with some fellow cruisers who just walked into town and booked their trip that day. They said the train was only about half full so they could easily move from side to side. I spoke with some cruisers who booked thru Carnival and they said virtually every seat was taken. Guess it's a horse a-piece because you never can tell how crowded something will be at a given time. (I believe it's only $10 cheaper when booking on your own versus thru Carnival or whatever so there's no big savings in booking direct.)
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Boston Girly

How did you return from the railway. I saw a bike trip but I haven't been on one in a long time. Can you return by rail?
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Admiral

The rail trip is round trip booked direct.
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Rocky TOP Mom

If you are not "set" on the Yukon-White Pass Railway trip, I recommend you look into doing a horse back riding trip above Emerald Lake. You can book it with Southeasttours.com, and you pay when you arrive, right in town. The van ride takes you along the road parrell to the train tracks and the ride in the Yukon is wonderful! You'll need to take your passport, as you pass through the Canadian/USA border, and you might ask the van driver to stop at Carcross, the world's smallest dessert.
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:12 PM
seattle family

We just did the Yukon-white Pass Railway trip last week. It was fabulous and highly recommended. My recommendation is to book the trip on the day of your arrival and make sure the weather is clear. I've heard of people spending a lot of money doing this trip when the weather turned out to be bad. You won't be happy spending a lot of money on a four hours train ride which you can't see much when the mountain is covered in fog.
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: White Pass Railway

The White Pass trip is NOT to be missed! Awesome! We booked through Princess(on Sapphire) and were met at ship and taken by golf cart to the last car,reserved for Sapphire, on the first morning train and met and taken back to ship after. Outside of last car was tons of fun. What a view!

When we came into port it was drizzling.....then cleared up. Our trip was glorius. HOWEVER, the afternoon people were fogged in, completely!

So take the advice of earlier poster re: waiting to commit the dollars until you get dockside might be a good option? Unless, of course, the train is full!
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Sun Catcher

If you can book via your cruiseline.....do so. Don't fool around and try to get too cute! The White Pass is THE excursion you want to be on in Alaska. Do what whatever it takes to be there, definately!!!! Marty
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
GrannyMouse

We're going on Princess in August. They show Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway for $169.00 and then there's Whie Pass Scenic Railway for $95.00. Anyone now the difference and is the money worth the difference.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:21 PM
Passenger

Ive never been,but from what I read,the Experience the yukon and White Pass Scenic railway takes 8 hrs to do.Motorcoach that takes you along the Trail of '98 to the White Pass Summit.I suppose its a scenic route that goes thru Canada and then you board the train back to Skagway.Just the train excursion takes 3 hrs,30 mins.Since I dont have much time there,I have to do the train only.
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Denise Blackmore, ACC

Dear Be_an,

The White Pass Scenic Railway is a great 3 and 1/2 hour tour during your day in Skagway! I took it a few years back and still remember it.

The difference in price booking direct and through the cruise line is very minimal. I suggest booking with your cruise line because then you will board right outside your ship (instead of going to the station in town). Most cruise lines allow you to pre-book excursions on their websites prior to the cruise. But you'll have to wait until you've made your final payment to do this.

Have a good time!

Denise Blackmore, ACC
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Admiral

The train/bus combo trips do one way on the train and then board a bus for a drive to the Yukon with several stops and returning down the Klondike Highway. For clairfication- the rail does NOT enter the Yukon, goes just over the BC boarder. Some people want the Yukon option. There also may be 2 bus trips- the shorter ones often just board the bus then back down the Klondike with a stop at a recreated Gold Camp- Liarsville for some gold panning- totally fake. Most of the narration for the White Pass RR is on the outbound from Skagway. The "book with the ship" arguement frankly- is worthless. HOPEFULLY you will get into town for a look and especially recommended is a stop at the Park service visitor center, excellent if taking a pm tour. If you are in town- then just a easy getting on the rail at the depot, the ship booked trains board at the ship- so if you are in town- you have to return to the ship.
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to barbarabeeb

for everyone that did this that had a problem with fog.....what time of the year were you there?? I will be doing the 12 niht alaska cruise via celebrity may 2005.. I have heard both good and bad things about the weather there during this time. My travel group is looking foward to doing this excursion and have heard very good things about it..

Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

Monarch of the Seas our 1st cruise

Infinity~Alaska
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Passenger

for everyone that did this that had a problem with fog.....what time of the year were you there?? I will be doing the 12 niht alaska cruise via celebrity may 2005.. I have heard both good and bad things about the weather there during this time. My travel group is looking foward to doing this excursion and have heard very good things about it..

Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

Infinity~Alaska
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Passenger

Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

Infinity~Alaska
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: White Pass Railway

HI Barb,
We were there in the first week of Sept. and did the first AM ride, had no problem with fog.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Thoth

I highly recommend booking ahead of time online for peace of mind if nothing else. I booked at about 60 days out through Holland America.
By the way, that train trip is well worth the money !!
Old November 25th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Admiral

There is NO predictions to fog, so you are asking a question that can't be answered. It can and does happen in the pm as well as the am. Go with what fits your schedule best. Rarely is the fog the entire trip anyway- bound to have plenty of clear areas.
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

We were there last week of August. Fog at the summit (which let's be frank, was just a low flying cloud) but 75% of trip not in the fog. Actually, got really cool picture of flags at border between the States and Canada in the "fog". I was more freaked out that clouds would stop glacier walk, but that was not a problem. Although, as my wife pointed out, what would have happened when we were on the glacier and would have had a "white out". My answer was be prepared for day/night stay!