Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Thoth

Default I recomend the "guide's choice" hike in Juneau

I just returned from Alaska on the Oosterdam. It was a great trip so I used quit a bit of film, 14 role=360 photos. My best prints to turn out were from the "Guide's Choice" hike in Juneau. The mountains and waterfalls along the trail were breath-taking! We had only six people to one guide making for a relaxed walk. We ate wild blueberrys and raspberrys along the way. With 4 ships in town at one time, it was great to get away from the crowds.
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Thoth

Default Re: I recomend the "guide's choice" hike in Juneau

The name of the trail was Perseverance which followed an old mining road and it lasted about 4 hours though Gastineau guiding company. . It is rated as easy to moderate.
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:07 PM
pr hop

oooh - how was your trip? any suggestions, because i am going on oosterdam on the 28th of aug. i would love to hike but i am traveling with an older-not-good-shape-for-walking person. but anything you could pass-on would be great! also - did you hotel in seattle, because that seems to be the first 'hoop' to jump!
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Thoth

Hello PR HOP !! You will love the Oosterdam!! If you look under the Cruisemates Holland America board for "Oosterdam/Vista class is still HAL" you'll find a small review of the cruise.
It was a great trip and very much worth the wait and money. any suggestions? Well much depends on what you like. The ship docked in Juneau out in the middle of nowhere so we had to pay $2 for a bus into town. If don't want to take a costly tour then you can take the bus into downtown and go up Mt. Roberts for $22. There seems to be buses out Mendenhall Glacier for $5. There is a shorter hiking/walking tour(1.5 miles) to the rainforest if you so choose. In Sitka I was on a tour which includes the dancers, which was great. However if someone does not wish to reserve a seat for the Russian dance and simply wishes to see the sights of Sitka then I suggest getting a good map and do your own self paced tour on foot. I saw more things in this small town on my own than I did on the tour. If you can't walk very well or if its raining, then the tour bus is wonderful. In Ketchikan , I did the floatplane/ boat tour of Misty Fjords national monument. That was very good, even at $250. Ketchikan is wonderful without a tour. Creek Street with Dolly's house and the Logger's show are a short walk from the pier.
Ketchikan by the way is my favorite port of call of any cruise.
In Victoria we arrived at 6:30 or so in the evening and I had a wonderful tour on a double decker bus which included Craigdarrack Castle and High Tea at the impressive Empress Hotel. Don't stay on the boat in Victoria like some people do. At first the booking said we would arrive at 8pm so some people say " why bother", but in fact its more like 6:30 when we arrived and my tour departed at 6:45. That made it another "real" port of call in my opinion.
One thing I can suggest is to preorder any shore excursions you wish to take and they will be in your room when you arrive. That way you don't have to stand in line at the excursions office and then be told "that's sold out". Also print a copy for your records. I found printing up the immigration questionaire (online) BEFORE I arrived for embarkation to be very helpful becouse embarkation is a pain. To do the questionaire form and shore trips, go to the Holland America website.
have a wonderful time!!!
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Thoth

One thing more. You ask about hotels. Sorry I can't help you ther becouse i flew in and out on the same days I departed for the cruise and arrived back in Seattle . By the way Seattle Airport and HAL's staff there worked very effectively.