Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2004, 04:56 PM
opssusan

Default Mendenhall vs Taku/Norris

Our cruise sponsers a glacier heli tour to Mendenhall, independants go to Taku and Norris....is Mendenhall worth paying an extra $100 per person? We don't want to cheat ourselves but don't know that it's necessary to spend the extra money.
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Mendenhall vs Taku/Norris

The choice of one helicopter flights a lot depends on what you want to do. There are some that give you some real glacier trekking experience if you are up to it. If you are more into the flightseeing with more time in the air and either one or two glacier landings for the most "bang for your buck". I am booked on a "Pilots Choice" tour with almost an hour in the air and two glacier landings. This tour gives the operator some leeway to take you to areas where the experience will be best. The tour is offered both by the ship that I am on and by Tennsco. I noticed in one of your postings that you are going on your cruise in early Sept. Which ship are you on???

Old August 14th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Admiral

As for the glacier question- NO Mendenhall is not better than any of the others in the Juneau icefield- just more well known. I have flown to the three you mention plus Herbert. (6 trips). The basic difference is as mentioned time- but I suggest look at your budget- if going on a double landing prevents you from another tour- go with the single landing. Varied touring is the key in Alaska.
Old August 14th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Excellent observation on varying tours/activities, Karen! That's a part of the fun in Alaska. When I booked my "Pilots Choice" for Juneau, I also made sure that it allowed me enough time (whole morning or afternoon) to do some sightseeing in Juneau and a "drive up" trip to Mendenhall. I didn't get to see much of Juneau last time because of a tour booking. One of the nice things about the port towns in Alaska is that each is very unique and interesting so town tours are fun and very easy to do as most of the towns are very good "walking" towns. I did my own self-guided ones in Ketchican and Skagway last time...so Seward, Juneau and Sitka are on the agenda for town "walks" this time.