Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Venus

Default Wed to Wed cruise

I'm planning a cruise next July. I noticed several major lines have similar itineraries leaving Sat/Sun and hitting the same ports. Does this make for major crowding in these ports? (ie Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan). I did notice one Holland America cruise left Seattle on Wed. and returned on Wed., which makes it look like they're in the major ports on days when the other lines are not? Has anybody done a Sat-Sat vs. a Wed. to Wed to know if the Wed-Wed is less crowded in port?
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2004, 04:47 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Wed to Wed cruise

Alaska has ships sailing most days of the week with the heaviest leaving on the weekends. I have sailed Carnival 3 times to Alaska , Wed Wed. and yes some ports there are fewer ships.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:41 PM
ritikatootie

Default Re: Wed to Wed cruise

We just returned from a Wed to Wed cruise last Wed. Don't know if there are more or less ships in certain ports but if you do enough googling on the different ports of call you will find the schedules for all ships in each port on any given day of the week (i.e. in Juneau you will find the daily schedule for the ships arrival/departure times). I am assuming that this year's schedule is representative of what will happen next july. One benefit of cruising this schedule is that airline fares are less on mid-week dates.

Planning your day ahead of arrival also helps. We tried to be some of the first passengers off our ship since that meant we were ahead of the crowd, we were on carnival with 2000+ passengers. As an example, in Juneau, we got off the ship early and got on the Mt. Roberts tramway first thing. We were able to hike the trails in the cool of the morning and enjoy that experience for about 1 1/2 hours before the trails started to get too crowded for us. We were early birds off the ship each day like this and knew exactly what our priorities were in terms of sight-seeing, we made a bee-line for those sights and were happy we did. We were able to do a lot of walking tours of the towns and make our to mid-morning/early afternoon excursions.