Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Passenger

Default Discover Card

We have a discover charge card, Do most of the ports accept this type of payment? Also we will be riding a taxi from Vancouver Airport to the pier. Can I pay the driver with american money or should I get some canadian currency?

Old September 4th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Default Re: Discover Card

I pretty much couldn't get anyone to take my Discover card at all, except for in Anchorage at the hotel, everyone wanted a Visa. In the Canadian parts (Dawson City, Whitehorse and Vancouver airport) no Discover at all, at least where I went.

You can probably pay the taxi in either currancy but just be sure of the exchange rate. I found the best way to get the most bang for my American bucks was to use the Visa card with plans to pay it when the bill comes in. Most places give you $1.25 in Canadian for every American dollar but he actual rate is closer to $1.30 to $1.35. When you use a Visa, the charge will be in Canadian money but when your bill gets printed the card company will give the the actual exchange rate for that day, maybe saving a few bucks depending how much you charge.

Have fun and happy sailing

Ron