Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2004, 06:57 AM
goin2alaska

Default Alaska May 2005

Greetings All from Texas,

We're traveling on Serenade sailing on May 29, 2005 RT out of Vancouver. I've recently had folks tell me that is too early to see most of the Alaskan wildlife (whales and bears especially) and it's not a good time for fishing excursions. Could some kind soul who has previously traveled about the same time please fill me in. I'd hate to go to Alaska and not get to enjoy the animals too and my husband wants to fish!.

Also, I know there will be lots of daylight hours during that time. I read it gets dark about 11pm. My husband is concerned with a balcony that it might be too hard to get our kids to bed. Do the rooms have "black out" curtains?

Thanks!!

Goin2Alaska!

Rhapsody of the Seas Sept 2002
Grand Princess Sept 2001
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Alaska May 2005

I have not been on an Alaskan cruise, But I do know that when you close the curtains on a balcony cabin all the way and "tuck" them in around the edges it does get plenty dark enough to sleep....

Rhapsody of the Seas 9/2003
Rhapsody of the Seas 9/2004
Old October 14th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Not too early to see marine wildlife, but these require tours, only brief distant - if any viewing from your cruise ship, binoculars necessary. Requires a great deal of time invested at the front of your ship- side viewing from balconies cuts the sightings by 50%. You are not going to "bear areas", and are way too early for the fly in black bear watching out of Ketchikan. The browns need interior Alaska touring. You are NOT likely to see a lot of wildlife on the Inside Passage. It's remotely possible to catch a glimpse of bears on the Klondike Highway out of Skagway- probably at best a 25% chance, would need a rental car from Avis or independent. Fishing is best out of Ketchikan, contact Northern Lights charter for what's in season when you go. There are curtains covering the balcony. It's not total light on the Inside Passage- again you are probably confusing it with interior but more an extended twilight. I have sailed at this time. http://www.ketchikanfishing.net/seasons.htm
http://www.ketchikanfishing.net/

Be certain to budget for sending your fish home- will run at least $100 for a good size salmon and have someone available to store it for you. But budget fully for tours anyway- you get only half a trip without them.
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Yeoman

In mid-May in 2003, we saw sea otters, whale, sea lions, eagles, moose in Anchorage, and one bear from a distance. All but the moose were seen from the ship.

Carnival Inspiration
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:36 PM
James North

I did a May 2004 cruise and did not see wildlife, but the excursions I took did not major on such. Our shipboard buddies took a river excursion in Haines out of Skagway and saw moose, eagles and Sheep. Thats two of the big five. We saw black bear scat in Ketchecan on a rain forest walk. The guide said they usually sight bear on this excursion, but they were still scarce, because the drought (not a drop of rain in 3 weeks) had delayed the ripening of the berries that are the bears first food out of hybernation. Ketchecan is one on the wettest spots on earth with rain two out of three days year round usually.