Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Dixie Lee

Default Dog Sledding

We will sail on HAL Statendam May 2005. One of the things we really want to do is dog-sledding. What does one wear? We don't want to buy a lot of stuff that we will probably never wear again, but we want to be prepared. We are from Alabama and whatever clothes we buy for this trip, we may never need again! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dixie
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dog Sledding

I'll assume you are referring to glacier dog sledding? Be CERTAIN when you are going they are running. Usually start mid May or later depending on weather and end by end of August. Wear layers- you will need a lightweight lined jacket anyway for your trip, knit hat and gloves. The rest use what you have layering- turtle necks, sweatshirts etc. Rain gear can be a long cheap walmart poncho.
Old October 14th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Dixie Lee

I show my ignorance here, but I will assume that glacier dog sledding is the most typical form of dog sledding. We are sailing May 27th. Will that be an OK time frame to be able to do this? What is worn on the feet? Any particular type of shoe or boot? We are not adding a land tour to the cruise, so the dog sledding would be what would commonly be done on one of the shore excursions - no more lengthy than that. We would like to have the opportunity to do this for a few hours - to experience it. Maybe we will do so longer, someday. Thanks so much for responding.
Dixie
Old October 14th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Dog Sledding

Dixie, you and Karen are talking about the same thing. They take you on a helicopter up to a snowy area of the glacier for dogsledding. The other option during cruise season is a wheeled dogseld that runs on gravel. Just make sure that you are getting what you think you are paying for (helicopter = glacier dogsled).
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Admiral

With the helicopter glacier dog sledding they will provide boots. Book direct with TEMSCO out of Skagway or Coastal out of Juneau in advance for confirmed reservations. This always sells out. End of May they should definately be running.
Old October 15th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Dixie Lee

Thanks for the info. My main 2 questions, boots and will they run end of May have now been answered and I got the answers I wanted! Wow, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, Dixie Lee
Old October 15th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dixie,
My DH & I also are going on the Statendam on May27 out of Seward. We are trying to get our excursions lined up although have not booked anything yet. The dog sledding is one of the things I want to do also. I'm getting great answers on this board, and everyone is so helpful (especially Karen). I can't wait to go! I also am trying to get a handle on the clothes issue! See you on the boards! Cathy

Caribbean Princess
HAL Zuiderdam -October 2003
Disney Wonder - May 2004
HAL Statendam - May 2005
Disney Wonder - Sept 2006
Carnival Fantasy - Dec 2006
Carribean Princess - Oct 2007
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Admiral

A tip on the clothes- mix and match what you have, thinner stuff can be layered if needed. Especially if you come for warm areas- you aren't going to have much use for a ton of sweat shirts or heavy jacket. I use a lightweight removable lined nylon jacket- it's long with a hood, purchased at Walmart probably 5 years ago. Take a few turtle necks- these go good over tshirts if needed as do a couple sweatshirts. A necessary purchase will be knit hat and gloves. I layer pants as well, never taking jeans- too bulky, tend to get and stay damp and take forever to dry. I like wind pants and leggins- again a cheap purchase at Walmart. The key to less hauling around heavy bags is to plan laundry. Seward has one on 4th St. you need a cab however. I always take mine off ship in Skagway- laundry 1 block from the shuttle bus stop- if needed but I usually just take my rolling bag. Located at 2nd and State. I block from the Red Onion- across the street. Can be done in a little over an hour with their fast propane dryers. Good conversations, or a nice stop at the Red Onion during the wash. Take 2 pair of walking shoes