Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Yeoman

Default seeing bears in early may??

i will be in the inside passage the 2nd week of may ( juneau, skagway and ketchikan )and am planning my tours.

does anyone know if the bears are '' up and moving '' this early in the season? i know there are no gurentees of any kind to see bears at any time of the year, but is this too early in the season for a good chance to see any?

if anyone knows a good site that tells when the bears are abundant and in what location please let me know. thanks

Old November 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: seeing bears in early may??

I have responded to you previous with this question. Your probably only option is a car rental out of Skagway and a drive on the Klondike Highway. Common are bear sightings in May. I would go at least 75 miles to Emerald Lake Yukon and return. Allow several hours. You won't see them in Ketchikan and unlikely in Juneau. For a better percentage- you will need a float plane tour out of Juneau to Pack Creek- and even early May is out of their peak range.
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Yeoman

thanks karen

for some reason, even though i check the box, i do not get replies to my post here anymore.

thanks for taking the time to reply to my two post.

Old November 15th, 2004, 12:51 PM
octcruise

I live in Juneau and would suggest you go visit a US Forest Service website if one exists and it may tell you where and when it is best to see bears. Visiting Pack Creek is a good suggestion, and may get more information on that through the Forest Service. I really don't think May is a good time to see bears in Southeast Alaska, our best time is late July/August when the fish are spawning and they are stuffing themselves for winter. In April and May they are just waking up. However if there isn't sufficient skunk cabbage, they may be roaming in neighborhoods for garbage. You may see bears at that time of year at the Mendenhall Glacier, up Basin Road (Perseverence Trail) and Mount Juneau. The tour buses usually know where to go if the bears are out. I would suggest whale watching at that time, that's almost always a sure bet.
Good luck, I hope you have good weather when you cruise up here. I hear there's no better cruise when the sun is shining than the Inside Passage.
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Yeoman

octcruise

thanks for the great info. i will try to find the forest service site and maybe find out when they say are the best times of the year to see the bears. i sure cant wait to go again. i loved the inside passage so much the last time. i know that this may it will be even more spectacular with snow still on the mountain tops. and i hope what i read that may is a '' dry '' month will come true for us.

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Admiral

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/dis.../packhome.html

Be aware that you are looking at about a $400 pp tour with this area.
Old November 16th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Yeoman

thanks karen

it sounds pretty pricey. i will investigate the site though. i appriciate the reply.