Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Pink

Default Vancouver

In order to use FF points, we are flying into Vancouver several days early before boarding HAL cruiseship. Got a great rate at hotel via priceline.com. Would like suggestions on places to see. Is Victoria too far to take the ferry just for the day? Do we need a car? Thanks for ideas.
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Vancouver

Hi Pink,
Be sure to walk around Gastown right by the pier, some nice shops to see and a steam powered clock on a corner street, interesting to see.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:57 AM
PapBill

We spent 5 days pre cruise in Vancouver back in September.
You might look into a web site. bcpassport.com. Great source of information and the tours booked through them are reliable.
Stanley Park is one must see on your list. Highlights would include the walkway around the park (six miles) Totem Pole Exhibit and Prospect Point Lookout but there is much much more. The Aquarium is also located there.
Just outside town there is Capilano Suspension Bridge. A 450 "indiana Jones" type suspension bridge over the Capilano River and Gorge. Also has a tree tops walk exhibit .
Grouse Mountain Tram is only worth the ride on a clear day, but very nice if clear.
Shops, exhibits, galleries and produce mart can be nice day out at Granville Island.
Take the little water ferry (I believe $3.00 round trip) from foot of Thurlow Street.
Walk the stores and restaurants along Robson Street. A place to "see and be seen".
Gastown has been suggested to you. China town is another place to see.
A day trip can be taken to Whistler and Blackcomb, home of the 2010 Olympics . Beautiful ride up the Sea to Sky highway. Stop art Shannon Falls , Brennan falls and numerous overlooks with mountain and water views. Whistler Village is a great place to shop and spend the day.
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Seitseman

We are going in leaving a day early in May to see Vancouver before our cruise departs. I have never been either and wanted to see it. I know 1 day isn't nearly enough, but I've stretched my vacation days at work as far as I possibly can with our Alaska cruise. We are going to see the Capilano Suspension Bridge, as mentioned above. Here is the www address: http://www.capbridge.com/index.html I would also like to see the view from the observation tower - http://www.vancouverlookout.com/ If it is a clear day, I look forward to taking some good pictures of our cruise ship from this lookout. The other thing I am really looking forward to is the Vancouver Trolley tour. I've done this kind of tour in several other cities and think it is the best way to get an detailed overview of a city. There are several stops, the trolley runs all day (30 minutes between trolleys at each stop) and you can get on and off the trolley as often as you would like. http://www.vancouvertrolley.com

I believe the websites for the trolley and the lookout even have coupons you can print for them.

Have a great trip!
Beth
- Coral Princess
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Admiral

For me Victoria is NEVER a day trip- at LEAST one overnight- more is better. I always take a car over- it just allows far more touring opportunities. Top attractions are orca watching and Butchart Gardens.
Old November 16th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

To answer your question about the ferry: If you want to ferry to victoria, i believe ther eis a rental agency right by the terminal in horseshoe bay, but i could check that out for you if you are serious about it. If you really want to go somewhere worthwhile, like Toffino, you'd have to stay at least 1 evening or two evenings. That would involve a lot of driving so you would want to rent a car. If just want to spend a day in victoria, there really isn't so much that you can do in a day so i wouldn't recommend it. Don't let me stop you however.
Another addition, if you're into excercise, the Grouse Grind is your thing. To go up on the tram costs around $25 per person. Why taht kind of cash when you can just walk up. lol. It's quite a grueling hike though (rescue teams are sent up at least a dozen times a week for peeps who didn't know what they are in for.), but it's the best way to really see the mountain.
Anyway, if you want any more information, just give me a shout
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Denise Blackmore, ACC

Dear Pink,

There are so many things to see in Vancouver! As a local here are my suggestions:

-Gastown
-China Town (where you'll see the thinest building in North America)
-Storyeum
-Robson Street Shopping
-Capilano Suspension Bridge
-Grouse Mountain (hike & have lunch overlooking the city)
-Granville Island (take an AquaBus there from downtown)
-Lonsdale Quay (take the SeaBus there from downtown)
-South Granville (lots of quaint art galleries)
-IMAX at Canda Place (usually in the summer there is a film about Alaska)
-And make sure you take the time to visit our excellent restaurants; we have some of the best Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian...you name it and we have it!

If you want to venture out of the city I'd recommend going to Victoria easily for a day or two and Whislter.

Have fun!

Denise Blackmore, ACC
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Denise has hit it right on the head - there is so much to see and do in Vancouver (1/2 hour from home). My dh works at Pacific Center - a great place to shop. Much of downtown is walkable but the Seabus is great fun. I would recommend Victoria as well - but would suggest a car to see everything. Please feel free to e-mail me if I can help in any way. TTFN Jennifer
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Passenger

Denise,Jennifer...I see you didnt mention Stanley Park...its not on your list of places to see in Vancouver? Im going for 2 days in May prior to my cruise and had thought it might be interesting.Whats your opinion?? Thanks
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

lol, I live in vancouver and i've only been to stanly park once or twice. So...maybe it's a tourist thing...