Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Yeoman

Default yukon--please help with a summit question

hi yukon

first i want to say how much i appreciate your replies and how helpful your advice and suggestions are to all of us here.

my question is this--what is the best way to see the white pass summit in a 3-4 hr time span. i know to rent a car and go on your own a ''' IS " the best thing to do, but that is not an option for us. we cant decide whether to take the train up and come back on a bus or just forget the train altogether. i know i do not want to take the roundtrip on the train. i would love to see emerald lake and the area around there. i am going crazy trying to decide what would give us the best tour and who to use. we will be there the 2nd week of may, so i know there will be snow on the mts. any help or suggestions will really be helpful and get my plans settled. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: yukon--please help with a summit question

If you have only 4 hours, to get the farthest, a round trip bus is your only option- IF You want to get to Emerald Lake, you probably do not have enough time on any tour. The only likely option with a one way train is the summit trips that takes the train one way then a return bus. This trip does NOT go into the Yukon and usually includes a stop at the recreated Gold Camp Liarsville. Why is it you are only alloting 4 hours??? Another tour? You will have to go with what fits your schedule best and go with that, there isn't a perfect situation and compromises are always a given.
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Yeoman

thanks karen

the friend i am going with can only set for a certain amount of time so we want to break up a tour and just wandering around the town afterwards before we decide to take anything else on. i would love to get way up into the yukon but i do not want to leave her on her own. i will check into the train/bus tours that last as long as she can take the setting. i know that it will be a wonderful time whatever we choose to do.

there are so many choices to make in the ports it is hard to decide what to committ too.

Old November 30th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Celebrity offered a tour they called "To the Summit". It was a bus ride that ran for about 2 hours. Picked us up at the pier, drove through town on the way up to the "Summit".
The highway parallels the railroad , just on theopposite side of the valley. We made four or five photo opportunity stops (something the train does not do, and went all the way to the top of the pass. We did it in the afternoon, which gave time for morning rain and fog to burn off. This left us plenty of time for a different tour in the morning, shopping in town, and lunch onboard before our afternoon tour. With the frequent stops and shorter trip duration, this may be just what your friend needs.
Our driver was a most accomadating young man, a local, who bent over backwards to make the trip enjoyable.
Old November 30th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Yeoman

thanks papabill

there are so many choices in skagway to get a tour of the summit it is hard to pick one. i cant wait to get there and see the mountains and visit the town again. i love all the great advice i get here on the board. thanks.

Old December 1st, 2004, 03:52 PM
James North

We took a Princess bus tour that went as far as Carcross, YT. It was a highlight of the cruise for us. It is more than 4 hrs, but we stopped 5 times going for photo shoots, spent an hour eating and touring the taxidermy museum, then we stopped in Carcross for another extended walk arount town and then back to Skagway, stopping for the Welcome to Alaska sign. I do not know how much of a break your friend needs, but if this is enough, it is a good option.

Have fun.
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:53 PM
Yeoman

james

that sounds like what we are looking for. carnival offers something like that and the lunch would taste pretty good im sure after traveling for a few hours. i will investigate that tour. i remember how beautiful the summit was in sept and cant wait to see it in may when there will be more snow on the mountain tops. choosing the best tour is tough when there are so many too pick from. i love the excitement of researching and planning the port trips. it will make the next 5 months go by faster keeping busy here on the boards and surfing the net for fun things to do. cant wait to get there.

Old December 30th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: yukon--please help with a summit question

Hi Dusty,

I am not sure why you have ruled out renting your own car, but it might be a better option than you already have realized. I have a bad back and sitting a long time is really hard for me too. My husband and I rented a car, stopped at the visitors info place and got a driving map tour, he drove I read and took pictures. It was so relaxing, quiet and just the two of us! I think sitting and being on a bus full of people might be stressful in itself. But that is just my opinion of course. This was truly one of the highlights of our trip and we went up into the Yukon. The drive down was so quick, I think it took less than two hours and was so beautiful. Your friend could then get out and stretch her legs as often as necessary. We stopped at Carcross, Emerald Lake and the museum too, it was awesome! Let me know if you have any more questions.