Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2004, 01:15 AM
lizzy77

Default Will we be too early for the dog sled

Going to Alaska on Carnival Spirit 12th May. Will we be too early in the season for the dogsled tours? Also what do we expect with the weather? Do we need lots of warm clothing? thanks .
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Will we be too early for the dog sled

lizzy77

i would think you will be going at the perfect time for a dog sled tour. they say the mts are covered with snow then and are a beautiful site. so i would think it would be great for a sled ride. i am going to glacier bay with you on the same cruise. what port are you planning on doing the sled ride. i noticed you said you will be going on the 12th. we take off on the 11th of may. i just want to make sure if you schedule a tour you give them the right day you will be in that port. i would hate to see you miss a tour because of that. we are going to be the only ship in skagway on the 15th so it will make it easier for any tours to be booked that we want. we are still deciding what to do in skagway and ketchikan. there are so many choices. i am going to layer again. i went last sept on the same trip. turtlenecks, a hooded sweatshirt, a couple pair of jeans, nylon windbreaker, headband and lightweight gloves for the glacier bay day and on the deck, a lightweight jacket ( a fleece on would be good ) just in case it is more chilly than i expect. i am not goiing to pack t-shirts because i can buy them in the ports or on the ship. i found out on the last trip that i took way too many clothes even though i thought i had cut back really good. the most comfortable pair of shoes for the ports are the most important and pants that wont cut into your waist are a must. you do eat alot on the ship. sweats and sweaters on the ship are the most comfy. i hope this has helped. go to the cruisecritic site and there is a link to our cruise under '' roll calls ''. it is started by me. we are planning on getting together and having a '' glad to meet ya drink '' at the bar on the first full day. please join us. and if you have posted there already im glad you did.

Old December 4th, 2004, 05:18 PM
lizzy77

Default Re: Re: Will we be too early for the dog sled

Hi there Dusty. Thanks so much for the info. We are a couple from Melbourne Aus. We are actually starting our cruise In Hawaii and doing the repositioning cruise to Vancouver, then Alaska. Thats why the dates are a bit out you see, yes same trip. Can you imagine the amount of luggage we will need for 2 different cruises!! Summer around the Hawaiin islands, Then winter clothes for Alaska!! So looking forward to the whole experience, and its the meeting of people that really makes for a great holiday. Will definitely log into the site. Havent considered what and when we will do with the tours as yet, still getting over the shock at the cost of some of them. For us aussies we have to also contend with the value of our $ compared to the american $.But we intend to do the whole lot as we may never get to go back. Have you already booked your tours ? Thanks again .LIZ
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Yeoman

lizzy

i thought that was you. the thread on cruisecritic ( pretty much died down for the past few months.) everyone is so busy with the holidays and doing other things. some of the regulars who post actually are lucky enough to be on cruises and trips this winter. i am so jealous. and i envy you for being able to do the back to back cruises you are going to be doing. i would now worry about taking tons of clothes. a few pairs of pants, a sweater or two and the jackets i talked about will be about all you need to worry about. i wore the same nice black slacks and a differnt top for the casual dinner nights and no-one noticed or cared. and on this trip you do not have to go all out for formal night ( what you already have from the previous cruise will be fine im sure ). it seems that the alaska trips are a bit more casual than others. i cant wait to meet you and talk to you. i would love to visit australia. i need to plan on making that one of my trips for the future. i have already booked with capt. larry. he cost $110 per person but well worth it. the trip from the ship will also give you a good tour too if you cant go with him. we are still deciding on ketchikan and skagway. i have decided we will not do the roundtrip on the train. i have read many times that this trip gets boring. so we are thinking about taking the white pass train/bus trip. i do want to see the totom poles this time in saxman village or totom bright park in ketchikan. i went with michelle of island wings last sept on the floatplane trip to the fjords. it was fantastic. around $180 i think. have you decided yet on what to do. you will love the ship and alaska. i am ready to go and get back there. keep in touch smoore3@frontiernet.net is my email. just make subject line as lizzy from the cruise so i will know it is safe to open. i am very careful about opening unknown mail but i would love to chat with you. talk to you soon.

Old December 6th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Will we be too early for the dog sled

Doglsedding seems to have issues with "too late" rather than "too early" in the season. Snowmelt is the problem and often causes a problem as early as late August. So, shouldn't be an issue for you. The "too early" in May is typically Denali touring.
Old December 9th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Admiral

You need to verify the dates with venders but probably the camps will NOT be set up mid May. There is a LOT of prep work involved with flying the dogs up, along with camps and kennels for the dogs and drivers. food, etc. I have not known these tours to start before the end of May. Contact directly- TEMSCO out of Skagway and Coastal out of Juneau.