Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Skagway tours?

We did the White Pass Railway last May (it was beautiful) and will be going there again this May....any suggestions on scenic & interesting tours? Thanks!

Old January 9th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Skagway tours?

Look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. There are just too many excellent tours to recommend. Get their visitor guide www.skagway.org
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Pooh Bear

Try this:

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/...sklondike.html..

The name is MURRAY LUNDBERG -
Look at "South Klondike Highway Links"

A Photographic Road Log - a Mile-by-mile Guide:

ABSOLUTELY THE B E S T guide to driving from Skagway to Carcross and beyond.

There is an Avis car rental close by the dock....We printed out Murray's guide from the web site noted above and followed his directions stopping at nearly every mile marker. Was GREAT to actually know what we were looking at - thanks to Murray!

Also, just this side of Emerald Like is a little restaurant called "Cinnamon Cache"....it was for sale when we were there last May but understand that as of December it was still open - it's a great place to stop for home made soup and sandwiches - plus fresh cinnamon rolls!

This was the BEST time we had in Alaska - and would never take the train when the driving is soooo easy and self guided - and to actually view the wild life was fantastic!

Pooh Bear
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Pooh, I will check that out.

Patty

Old January 13th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I love that website! I'm sure we will rent a car and take that drive..sounds wonderful. Now, do you have any ideas for Sitka? Thanks again.

Old January 13th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Pooh Bear

Sorry, SoCalGal: No hints for Sitka.....both times we were there we just took the tender in and walked thru the town and shopped then spent time sitting in the park by the marina watching the EAGLES! Sure there's lots of folks with good ideas though.....

Have fun driving to Emerald Lake - it is absolutely a wonderful drive and very easily done. Fun to pass the train as it turns around and heads back down to Skagway - and know that we can continue on at our own pace - and oh, my goodness! The wild life.

If you have questions, post them for Murray - I'm sure he'll answer them: He is one of the BEST resources I've ever come across....

Pooh Bear (Sharon)
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Admiral

For clairfication- wildlife is NOT common on the Klondike Highway after May. As for Sitka- plenty to see and do, and an excellent wildlife boat tour if of interest. This is also the only place on the inside passage with good accessability to a puffin rookery- again if of interest. In town- easy to walk, without any mobility limitations, or an all day loop bus for about $7. Sites to consider, Sitka National Park- purchase the cheap guide book for totem descriptions- 1 mile level loop trail. Sitka Raptor Center, rehab for injured birds of prey- up hill walk, very worthly of the admission. Sheldon museum, St, Michaels Church, Archangles dancers. Request their visitor guide www.sitka.org
Old January 20th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Sherry B

SoCalGal, I noticed you went last May...how was your weather? I know it can really vary, but I was just wondering. Did you get to see much wildlife and were the flowers in bloom? The last time we went it was in August and the flowers were beautiful.

Thanks,
Sherry B
Sailing in May 2005 - Island
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Sherry,

The weather was delightful....Sitka was just a little chilly. No rain except for light rain in
Seattle and Victoria. We took Parkas and really only wore them a couple of times, once while viewing Hubbard Glacier and also in Sitka. On the return trip through the inland passage I actually wore a tank top all the way...could have worn shorts. Southeastern Alaska gets less rain in May than it does in July or August. Average temps were mid to high 50's would be my guess, and also some 60's and 70's. There were some flowers blooming, although I imagine there would be lots more in the summer. We saw lots of whales, orcas and other sealife. Saw one brown (grizzly) bear that was at the base of a stream in Misty Fjords National Monument. The animals are just comoing out of hibernation in May...saw lots of bald eagles, too. The eagles in Sitka were as thick as crows....alll lined up in rows....it was amazing.

Old January 26th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Passenger

Hi: We are doing Dawn Princess 5-16-05 we can either do the White Pass Railway or Yukon and White Pass Railway (we were told this a bus and train) If we did this one we could do the Skagway street car? What are your thoughts on which we should do? Thanks
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Admiral

The train/bus combo to the Yukon is usually 6++ hours so verify the length of this tour- you do need all that time. They do give you a run down on Skagway which may overlap the streetcar. The streetcar is worthwhile and a little hokey. Also consider just getting to the Park Service visitor center- excellent activies there as well. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/schedule.htm