Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Beginner

Default Misty Fjords, which operator?

We are going on our first cruise ever in May .... so much to do, and never enough money! Anyway, if I can squeeze my pennies I would so love to go on one of the Misty Fjords flights. Anybody care to share with me who you have gone with and what it was like? thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Misty Fjords, which operator?

My brochure says Goldbelt Alaskan Cruises (Cruise & Flight tour) which we booked through the Celebrity cruise excursion site. We started with a thrilling flight on a floatplane that lasted about 30 minutes that took us 60 miles into Misty Fjords National Monument. We flew over mountains, lush landscapes and 3000' high cliffs before landing on the fjord. It reminded me of the the movie "The Edge". Then we boarded their Catamaran the "Majestic Fjord" for a three and a half hour cruise back to Ketchikan. On the cruise we spotted brown bear and also plenty of sealife such as otters and seabirds. The Captain always spent plenty of time viewing wildlife so we could all enjoy. We even saw a couple of whales on the way back. They served a very tasty lunch and there are huge picture windows so you didn't have to go on deck for wonderful views. From the Cat we could view the towering sheer cliffs that we had flown over...several waterfalls, too. They have an onboard naturalist (ours was a native American) that made it even more interesting. The only negative thing I can think of about this excursion was that our husbands' enjoyed my sister and I having to divulge our weight for the floatplane flight...ha! Have a great time.

P.S. I'll admit I had a few butterflies about going up in that seaplane...but it wasn't scary at all...it was a very smooth takeoff and landing.

Old January 11th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Admiral

I greatly prefer a round trip flight in Misty Fjords. Especially if you are a first time Ketchikan visitor- it leaves you plenty of time to see the town. Anyway- I have flown Misty Fjords with 3 operators, any would offer a great trip, choose who fits your scehedule best. Carlin Air, Southeast Aviation, Island Wings.
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:45 PM
jq

Default Re: Re: Misty Fjords, which operator?

If Southeast Aviation is still in the Alaska Tour Saver Book, this would give you two for one for Misty Fjords Flt. We did this in Sept and it worked out nicely.
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

We went with Seawind Aviation. My wife was scared to death of the floatplane (because 2 days earlier I had her in a heliopter and that totally terrifies her) but our pilot, Steve, was just so go she loved it. Have no other to compare this too but I would go with him again (and I got a discount for booking online). Can link you to some photos if you email me.
Old January 12th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Admiral

There are NO toursaver options for Misty Fjords this year.
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: Misty Fjords, which operator?

thats a bummer!! Maybe one of the operators will be offering their own coupons?
Old January 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Yeoman

michelle with island wings hands down.

she is the best at what the tour is meant to be and gives a wonderful tour. if she does not have a full pland ask if her little dog can ride with you. he is so cute and loves to go on the trip. but more important--she is an excellant pilot, very informative and spends lots of time on the lake so you can walk around and see things there. they also pick you up right at the rain-gaige at ketchikan. a great tour and you wont regrett it.

Old January 13th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Pero is the dog. But not to disagree- I have flown with the listed above 3 venders- ALL were excellent. Island Wings is just ONE of the excellent choices for Misty Fjords.
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Beginner

Default Misty Fjords, which operator?

Thanks to everybody for their input! These boards are wonderful, and are helping me a lot, especially with the decisions. I enjoy planning trips as much as the taking, and this cruise is proving to be no exception ... lots of choices and it's fun putting it together.

thanks again!
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Mizzum

Has anyone ever flown with Family Air Tours for the Misty Fjords? I had seen them online also. Thanks!
Mizzum
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:45 PM
First Mate

i used michelle from island wings. she is fantastic. i was so surprised when we took off and landed, it was so smooth and easy. she really knows the area, gives you a great tour and takes the time to answer all your questions and give you a terrific tour. i was a little leary before the trip, but was so pleased with the michelle, the plane and how awesome the sites where. any tour company will give you a great tour but i will use michelle again the next time..