Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Danne

Default Should we try to take the kids?

Hi Everyone,

My spouse and I may have a chance to take our kids on an Alaskan cruise with us in August. They are 10 and 8. We are thinking of taking them for the great experience we think they will have.

Have any of you taken children with you? How crowded was your cabin? How were shore excursions with children?

Anthing you would care to share to help make this decision would be appreciated!!

Danne
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Should we try to take the kids?

Take them. They are plenty old enough to enjoy the wonders of Alaska. It will be wonderful memories that will last a lifetime for all of you. Have a great time!

Old January 13th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Captain

We've taken our son 3 times between ages 8 thru 10 and he enjoyed the cruises greatly and wants to return.

There is plenty to do on the ships and off. He loved the White Pass RR in Skagway for one example. The kids programs on the ships were great too. He didn't always utilize them but chose the events he wanted to participate in.

If you choose a ship with a covered pool then they can swim all they want, even in cool or rainly weather.

It'll depend on the cabin size you choose as to how comfortable you will be. For the 3 of us we had a large bed for the adults and a fold-out sofa for my son. Yes it was tight but we dealt with it fine. Some ships have family cabins I believe which will hold 4 but we never checked into that.

taking the kids will be a good choice and a wonderful shared experience and vacation. Go for it.
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Danne

Default Re: Re: Should we try to take the kids?

Sounds like we should try to take them with us!

Thanks for the advice. When we pound out the trip details (dates, ship, etc.) I'll let you know. Then maybe you'll be able to help with shipboard activities and excursions.

Thanks again!
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Admiral

I have taken my kids. Yours are old enough. Involve them in the planning. Budget fully for excursions- and at least do one "biggie". With a glacier helicopter landing my vote. But if you are looking at a "standard" cabin- it will be very crowded- think half of a Motel 6 room. But who cares??? I've done it may times and the money saved has bought me some great flights.
Old January 14th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Captain

I suggest for your first Alaskan cruise you should book one that goes to Glacier Bay. My favorite spot.