Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Beginner

Default Skagway June 7 - Eldred Rock Lighthouse

While we're in Alaska, I would like to see as many Alaskan lighthouses as possible. We have made arrangements for a custom lighthouse/Misty Fjords tour out of Ketchikan.

I really would like to see Eldred Rock lighthouse, which is located about 20 miles southeast of Haines, and it looks like the cruise ship Ill be on will be passing it twice to/from Skagway in the dark.

Well be arriving in Skagway on June 7 at 5:30 am. Were planning to do the White Pass railway excursion in the afternoon. Id like to try to see Eldred Rock in the morning by plane or boat. I have contacted a few boat charter companies. Chilkoot Charters will do a custom tour that will allow us to see Eldred Rock Lighthouse from a boat. The tour will take about 4 hours round trip. Unfortunately it's too expensive for just two of us. So, I wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in doing this tour and sharing part of the cost.

If a boat tour doesn't work, I'd be interested in seeing this lighthouse form a plane. If you have any information about companies that do private plane charters, please let me know. Since there will be two of us, it would have to be a small plane with a 2 - 3 person minimum.

Thanks,

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2005, 12:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Skagway June 7 - Eldred Rock Lighthouse

You probably will be able to see it as your ship sails by, so I would set your alarm and get out on deck anyway. For flight information- look at listings- www.skagway.org
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Hi Tammy,
If I may suggest, get a good pair of binoculars too. We just bought a nice one that also takes pictures. I can hardly wait to try it out. It is called Caputure Biew by Meade
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
sterlingsilver

Hey Tammy, you may be able to see it fine from your ship. At that time of year the sun rises about 3:50 and the sunset will be 10:10. It will be getting light when you cruise by there in the am and hopefully you will be leaving Skagway in time to see it again. When are you leaving in the evening? Should be to the lighthouse in a couple hours after you leave from Skagway. Where are you from in MN? I grew up in Wayzata, now live in Juneau.