Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Alaska whales

I have been reading all the posts about whale watching.
When I went to a web site for the wild life in Alaska, they said that Humpback whales are not in the area during the summer months, only in August and Sept.
Is there someplace where you can see other types of whales up close?
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:15 AM
jq

Default Re: Alaska whales

Humpbacks are in the Juneau area and many other parts of Alaska throughout the entire cruising season from early May til late Sept. There are also orcas in Juneau, ISP and inside passage. Also in Seward but not all the time. Better find a better whale site for your info.
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

We saw several humpbacks last May near Juneau...also many orcas. The humpbacks leave Hawaii sometime in March or early April to head for southeastern Alaska. There's lots of info at the government website (NOAA Fisheries : Whales in Alaska).
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Admiral

For clairfication- humpbacks are sighted in Auke Bay Juneau 100% of the boat tours. But tours are necessary. Icy Strait is also a prime feeding ground. As for orcas- they are an animal on the move, in Auke Bay they are visable only about every 5-10 days. Not as common a sighting as stated above. For orcas, I have ALWAYS seen them Inside Vancouver Island, spending several hours on the front deck with a good pair of binoculars. Better are the southbound trips. But I have seen them north being up at dawn- 4:30am or so, most people don't want to invest the considerable amount of time required. I also always take a tour out of Victoria BC or Friday Harbor Wa. for the best chance of seeing orcas. Out of Seward- the boat tours are ROUTE trips with my average only being about 50% for whale sightings, again more likely are the humpbacks. These trips to get good views when available but not as extensive as Juneau trips. Last March- I also saw the gray migration going by and Belugas are possible in Turnagain Arm, but my sightings have been less than 25% of ALL my many drives on the Arm- always at least 5 round trips per trip- not common.
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Yes they are there ALL season. In fact Sitka has their big Whale Fest the first week of every November.
Old January 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Passenger

We went on a whalewatching excursion the last week in July and saw lots of humpbacks in their feeding circles. Check out Orca Enterprises at alaskawhalewatching.com. We booked it ourselves based on recommendations here and thought it was great!
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Julie A

Default Re: Re: Alaska whales

I went with this company 2 years ago and saw lots of humpbacks. Even have a photo of 3 tails on the same photo!! I will be going with them again this year.