Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Beginner

Default Kids on cruises

Wea re going to Alaska on the Princess Sapphire in July. Our kids will be almost 3 and almost 5. This trip is a gift, and we would probbaly not choose to do a cruise right now with them this young, but it is a gift like I said! I am wondering if anyone has done a crusie with children this small, and if so what were some fun things to do at the different ports. They are well behaved children, but they are still kids so I don't want them getting restless ont he excursions. My husband and i know this trip is more about them than us-so we are really looking to make their cruise enjoyable.

How are the kids programs on the ship?
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Captain

Default Re: Kids on cruises

My son was a bit older but loved the Alaskan cruises we've taken. The ship programs for kids are wonderful and are broken up by age groups so the 3 and 5 yr olds won't be mingling with the older kids. And of course they'll have activities that are age appropriate. Movies, sleep overs (you pick them up at midnight or so), pizza parties.

Off ship will depend on you and your kids and how behaved they are of course.
The White pass rail trip in Skagway is great. The train will probably rock the kids to sleep and you and your husband should still enjoy.

Each port you stop in will have shopping at the docks. And there are goodies of interest for all ages in these shops.

The kids might enjoy the totems in Ketchikan as well. There are totem parks you can go to but there are also totems in town and at the top of the funicular (which the kids might enjoy as well).
There's a horse drawn carriage in Ketchikan as well and the kids should enjoy that "ride".

We found the Duck tour to be quite a lot of fun also in Ketchikan. Corny but fun. And you can purchase duck noise makers. Age 3 might be too young for this excursion however.
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Admiral

With this age range, I wouldn't book any tours over an hour. Especially ones you have no way out with disruptive children. The ports are walkable from the docks. Pick up walking tour maps. They probably would like the tram in Juneau, maybe the shuttle to Mendenhall, museums in town. Skagway- wonderful walking about city. Ketchikan, Lumberjack show, duck tour, Public lands buildling and again excellent city for a walking tour.
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Joyce Glenn

We've taken our extended family on 2 cruises recently including grandchildren ranging from 1 to 4. Our kids have decided to wait til they're older to go again. You can easily do the totem place with a rental car, and that's the best way to do excursions. You drive out to see the mendenhall glacier and use a stroller, Dress warmly it is winter there in June and July. The biggest problem on board is that the children under 3 cannot attend the day care program and they have difficulty lasting through a 2 hour dinner. The 3 and 4 year olds love it, they call it school. I hope you booked early seating. THe parents would take the kids to school after the first hour of dinner and we could enjoy the rest of the meal without them. Sometimes they could time a baby nap in the stroller to the diner hour but otherwise had to do it in shifts. The kids loved the Lumberjack show which you can do after the totem park on your own. It is easy to find in town with no advance reservation.Reserve your cars ahead of time and send the men to get them while the women wait on board for their return. Get those motorola walkie talkies that range a couple of miles.