Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:37 PM
Mizzum

Default Flights

Not sure if this board can help with this part of the "cruise". Would like to know opinions of pros and cons of booking airline with the cruise. We will be flying from Boston to Vancouver and then rom Anchorage back to Boston. What is the best way to arrange flights? I will be talking with my travel agent but since I have received such wonderful advice from this board I thought I'd ask. Thanks for all your help!

Mizzum
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
belle

Default Re: Flights

i have booked my own flight through Air Canada. And the return from Anchorage though the cruise,,, our travel agent got us a fantastic deal on that part of it,,,,,,,,when and what ship r u going on?????

Belle
Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Admiral

Book yourself now. Cruise air is the left overs with usually a significant price add on. If you book now, you can pick your connections and have confirmed reservations. You will be lucky to have that information 30 days before cruising with cruiseair. BUT- look at "multicity" booking options, compare several sites, I found the "regular booking" site via priceline to offer good information. Price out the complete costs including transfers. Adding about $30ca for a cab from Vancouver, and depending on your preference- AND hopefully you are adding time to tour interior Alaska- or at least if you are sailing into Seward- do a day boat trip to Kenai fjords then take the train back to Anchorage. But you need to factor in that transfer. You should be able to purchase cruise contracted bus and rail or do independent.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:46 AM
Yeoman

Just to offer another viewpoint, I always compare because the cruise lines sometimes use promotional air fares as well cruise fares. With "RCI" back in 2002, snagged $599 r/t air from LAX to Sydney and Auckland back to LAX. On my own the best rate was double that. Last year we paid $99 air from LAX to Vancouver then back from Honolulu to LAX. Why? Cruise line promotions and they didn't affect the cabin discounts I received. They are the exception and not the rule but worth the time to compare in my book.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:20 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

JUst another opinion,,I live in the Los Angeles area so I was lazy and let the TA book our flights from LA to Anchorage and Vancouver to LA. Something I normally would not do. Afterwards I did comparrison shoping to see how bad I was taken. I couldn't get anything for the price the cruise line got me,,an average of 150 per person more trying to do it myself. The exception woud have been had we flown first class (I never do this but thought I would check). In that case booking ourselves was cheaper. But, on the flight home we did get a first class upgrade for 50 dollars each (Canadian). So for my experience, cruise line was cheaper because of their volumn discount. But I also do think it was luck of the draw, coming from a major airport gave us good oppourtunitys and flight times. I ususally find the best fairs directly booking with airlines.
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:45 PM
belle

hi

We booked with the cruise line for the airfare from sewaqrd abck to Vancouver but booked our own flight from Vancover to toronto then home.

Was cheaper from cruise line for that air fare.

Belle