Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Beginner

Default Juneau itinerary changes?!

Well, we specifically picked our cruise to include a full day in Juneau...but now am told the itinerary for the NCL Star has changed and we won't arrive until 2 PM. I am disappointed, as wanted to do two excursions in Juneau. Are itinerary changes common?? (this is our first cruise).

So now we are in Juneau from 2 PM to 10 PM in mid-May. Can someone tell me how late it stays light? We had a morning whale watch with Orca scheduled but will have to re-schedule it for afternoon .. are we going to feel rushed??

I have been so excited and this feels like a real damper ... but will come to accept it after a while I guess, cause "stuff happens"!
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Juneau itinerary changes?!

No it's not common, I'll assume you are on the first sailing? If it's important, look for something else. It will be dusk around 10pm but if going with Orca- you will have 2 times available for you, if you haven't been to Juneau before, I would choose the later tour- they will shuttle right to the ship if needed. This way you can see some of Juneau during business hours- if of interest in museums etc. What else were you considering with the full day???
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Karen, we are indeed on the first Star sailing to the inside passage for the season, if that's what you meant. And I don't see any others that spend all day in Juneau, maybe this was a miscalculation on NCL's part from the get-go. Common arrival time seems to be early afternoon.

BUT! If its light until after 9 PM that sure helps. The Orca has a 3 PM sailing and a 5:30 PM sailing. Not sure which one to shift to. Did want to see Mendenhall, or get closer to a glacier somehow! But maybe that's something that we can do from Skagway or Ketchikan where we ARE there all day (barring changes!!). Because I would like to wander around Juneau a bit. Guess this will come together, input from those who have been there sure helps!
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Admiral

There are no glaciers in Ketchikan and a flight will be required in Skagway. You will have a view of Mendenhall on the way to the whale watch and from the boat going and coming back, if that is enough? If a glacier is a priority- then consider a combo booking with Orca Enterprises and Coastal helicopter. Only way for contact with a glacier. Otherwise take the late whale watch and see if orca can pick you up at Mendenhall? Take the shuttle bus there for $5 before.