Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Flea

Default Just posted my Alaska photo gallery

from my cruise last June, and would love your comments or questions about the trip. It's the Southbound Carnival Spirit gallery in the gallery list.

Funny story (in hindsight)...I brought two cameras, one digital and one SLR 35mm. During one of the excursions, the 35mm jammed, so I took it to a shop in Ketchikan and got it fixed. On returning to the ship, I realized I didn't have my camera (and the nice zoom lens I had borrowed from a friend)! I must have left it in the shop. I still had a little time before final boarding, so hurried back to the shop- - they were closed! I guess the whole town shuts down when the cruise ship reloads. Anyway, so I wrote down the name of the shop, and called them when I got back to Tampa - sure enough, they had my camera, so I arranged to have DHL pick it up and ship it back home. Safe and sound!
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Just posted my Alaska photo gallery

Your pictures are GREAT! My husband and I are heading to Alaska on the Sun Princess in May and cannot wait. I also have a 35MM SLR and digital I plan on bringing - hope my pictures come out as good!!! I just hope I have enough file and memory to take all the pictures I want!

Glad to hear everything worked out with the lens!

Thanks for sharing!
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Flea

Default Re: Re: Just posted my Alaska photo gallery

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend you bring as many MBs (or GBs) as possible - I also had my laptop with me so I could download the photos at the end of the day and clear them off the CF card and start fresh the next day. I ended up taking many more digital photos than film photos -- and I think it paid off in the results.

Have a great time!
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Pink

How do we find your photos? I looked in the photo galleryl, but didn't see them.
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Pink

I finally found them and they are beautiful especially the sunsets. We are going in August 2005.
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM
First Mate

Gorgeous sunset, Flea.

My pics are still in the gallery, and I still look at them often! Going again in May.

Denise

[/url]http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/view.php?id=1189[/url]
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Flea

Nice photos, Denise! I especially like the whale photos - my whale shots were not close enough to get anything decent. Next trip I will probably do a whale sightseeing excursion to get closer!
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Passenger

i love the white pass pictures...

when and where from/to did you take the train?...is this just a cruise tour or this is an extra land tour?
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:21 PM
First Mate

That was from the White Pass Rail, which is a standard tour on all the ships in Skagway. The train pulls right up to the docks. You can also catch it in town, but it's a hike and you run the risk of it being sold out. Carnival has it for $94, it's $89 at the station. Well worth it for the views!

http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/schedule.html

Denise
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:24 PM
PhilBerg

Jend,
On the Princess, they have onboard computers and you can upload everyday to their servers (they do it for you in the photo shop). Then you can get them all at the end of the trip on however many CDs that requires, organized by day uploaded. You get to delete the memory images yourself, so don't worry about them messing with your memory cards. This allows you to go with a modest amount of memory and yet have unlimited potential, and you will be glad for that. You can easily take over a 1000 pictures, and that is several gigabytes probably, depending on camera and resolution settings. Plan for the biggest and finest quality originals that way, and trim up later if desired. Have lots of rechargeable batteries so you don't run out before recharging each night.
HTH
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:13 PM
PhilBerg

Thanks for the information. I love my 35MM SLR and it takes GREAT pictures but it is so big compared to my digital. I have a feeling I am going to be reaching for the digital camera. Your information is very helpful! Thanks!