Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:27 AM
leo

Default Cruisetour or On-Our-Own?

Has anyone been to a cruisetour? Would you suggest that rather than doing the land part on our own?

We are thinking of taking the RCL Cruisetour...Vision of the Seas and 3-day land tour with one night each in Talkeetna, Denali and Fairbanks...
It will cost much more than doing the land part on our own but i will not have to worry about transportation/hotels/directions...
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Re: Cruisetour or On-Our-Own?

Hello,

Its your one time vacation, why not go the extra mile and book thru the cruise lines.
We have tried both ways and like the convience of not having to worry about time, directions, etc. especially if you are in port only a short time.
Once we booked directly to the shore excursion company and found out after ward that the same tour was going on with our ship mates. We paid less( about $3.00) pp, but we had our leasure time and no crowds, or <cattle call>
In Alaska, we plan to take some on our own and some thru the cruise lines. It's about
50/50. Book way ahead as they fill up fast.
Hope this is some help.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:06 PM
leo

trekker,
i wasn't referring to the optional tours but the Cruise and Land Tour packages offered by the cruise line which includes 3 day Land Tour after the Cruise...
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Frankly- since you ask, I would NEVER recommend any 3 day tour- it simply is NOT enough time and all your time is in transit. As an example- Seward to Anchorage is 3 hours, Anchorage- Denali Park 5++ hours, Denali Park - Fairbanks 2+ Hours. HOW much time do you think there will be for enjoyment of the areas??? AND most important this probably only includes the WORTHLESS Natural History tour. I can never rationalize anyone considering this 3 hour tour that the park service offers for FREE after investing all that time to get there??? My min. in is Fish Creek via the SHUTTLE. But if you can invest at least 2 more days, 5 days independent is an excellent option that will be far better than any cruisetour. It will allow you to pick and choose what is of interest for YOU and allow more leeway in time. Extremely simply to arrange your own.