We are thinking of going to Denali after the cruise.
But we're not sure how hard it would be if we do it ourselves or just take Guided Tour from RCCL or Princess.
1) How hard is it to get hotels in Denali and Talkeetna?
2) Should we drive or take the train?. I really like to experience the train
3) Can we take the History tour instead of Tundra. will it be good enough if we run out of time?
4) How is the drive from Whittier to Denali and back to acnhorage?
Leo, less than a week ago I read some posts on here asking similar questions. One gal has been to Denali several times and gave some great advice on going it alone. Go back through the old posts and you should find it.
1. Simple to get lodging. If you start now, shouldn't have any problem.
2. the train requires TIME, don't expect to ride up one day see the park and return the next. Best is to at least overnight in Denali Park at least 2 nights, and consider a stop in Talkeetna. The Anchorage/Denali Park portion which is 8 hours has a lot of boring areas in my opinion. I have ridden the entire Alaska RR several times. By far the most scenic is the Anchorage/Seward portion. Best is no time is to drive, then you have far more touring options, lodging and meal options that are beneficial.
3 ABSOLUTELY NOT - it isn't ever worth heading to Denali park without fully enteriing it in my opinion. Independent would also NEVER consider any of the tours and instead opt for the SHUTTLE buses. 1/3 the costs. If you can't invest enough time, then reconsider until you can.
4. Whittier/Anchorage is an hour+++ and add in tunnel time. Anchorage-Denali Park at least 5 hours via car. But stops are necessary and worthwhile. Don't even think of rushing of being too tight on time. The area is vast and time is necessary.