Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Default Ketchican tour suggestions?

We are two ladies "of a certain age" and have pretty much decided on Orca whalewatching for Juneau (only there from 2PM-9PM, Southwest 6-hour Yukon tour to Emerald Lake in Skagway (I know you can rent a car, but we don't want to drive, and we've both done the RR), but we are pretty much stuck in Ketchican.

We don't want to fly, pedal, paddle or hike (that narrows it quite a bit). Any suggestions? I think I might like Sourdough's Saxman/Totem Bight, but it looks like that is only available for groups. I enjoyed their Saxman last time. Maybe we should try the Totem Bight/Ketchican this time. Are there any other kinds of tours available? Rafts? Boats?
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ketchican tour suggestions?

Request their visitor guide- www.visit-ketchikan.com There is a nice walking tour map- low key available at the visitor center. You may also be interested in a stop at the Public Lands building.
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM
First Mate

there are other tour groups for the saxman/totom park tours. try rainbird tours. they have a combo tour or you can choose just one. if you surf the net for ketchikan tours you will get more choices. we are going to use the tour for saxman from carnival so we can see the dancers and go into the carving shed. and it is only about $10 more than the independent tour co's. have a great time. you will love creeek street. it has neat shops and a great place to just browse and buy unique things.

Old February 26th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Anton, thanks for the Rainbird tip. Their website surely leaves much to be desired! But it has a couple of interesting tours. Is there anywhere I can find a description of their tours? Aniy other feedback?

Everyone, my SIL wants to take the 4-hour Skagway tour (to the summit?), but I'm for the 6-hour, which emulates the drive described by Pooh Bear, I think. I'd risk driving, but SIL is not at all for it. Any comments?
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Ketchican tour suggestions?

lvsue

you are so right about their site not being much to look at but i have read good reveiws about them on the boards that they give a good tour. do you have time to have a brochure sent too you? right at the dock there is a visitors center that has tour groups ready to take you on a tour of your choice. maybe it would be fun for you too just pick one you like when you get there. have a good time.

Old February 27th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Passenger

Awesome Adventures has a good website. Does anyone have any experience with a tour aboard the Mayflower Star? Or is it just kind of dorky?

Antron, I'm still working on rainbird. I have plenty of time to get a brochure if I could just figure out how to order one. Nothing on the contact page connects with my mouse.
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:25 AM
ute_fan

We booked the Saxman/Totem Bight tour with Sourdough Tours in June, 2004. I sent them an email to ask about it, and they were happy to take us. Our "group" ended up being our family of 4 and 2 single ladies from our ship. If you're interested, it wouldn't hurt to ask them. We were in a van, not a bus, and our tour guide was full of information about Ketchikan.
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:46 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Ketchican tour suggestions?

lvsue

go to www.alaskarainbirds.com. that will take you too their site. also they have a email of annsrainbirdtours@att.net. i hope you get to their site. or the sourdough tour would be good also like ute fan posted. phone # 1-888-505-8810

Old February 27th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Admiral

Driving the Klondike Highway is SIMPLE. It's a normal well maintained 2 lane road. Drive to Emerald Lake- 75 miles from Skagway and return. Allow 4+ hours, extremely scenic. What is your SIL's concern?? Why not just split off and go anyway?? I do this all the time- group travel can have severe limits in Alaska especially if there are other's priorities.
Old March 8th, 2005, 03:03 PM
lisa wiggs

We are doing the Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer. It is a four hour cruise into the Misty Fjords National Monument. Our second choice was the four hour First City Deluxe Tour.
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:40 PM
SharB

Here's my suggestion - it's great fun and very inexpensive!

http://www.akduck.com/
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Passenger

We did the Duck tour (link in message from prior posting) with my niece and nephew and saw scads of bald eagles on the trip. The vehicle is enclosed so bad weather (always a possibility in Ketchikan) isn't a problem.

You may also want to see the Lumberjack Show. Yeah, it's corny but it's fun, nearby, and pretty independent of the weather forecast. Here's a link for more information:

http://www.lumberjackshows.com/alaska/alaskaticket.html

We bought tickets on the ship for the convenience -- they were the same price on the ship or at the show.