Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:07 AM
Passenger

Default Cruise tour with Denali

We are taking a cruisetour on August 14th on the Veendam. We are suppose to head to Denali after the cruise. I was wondering if we will be in Denali in time to take an exursion or should we wait for the following day. This is a double Denali tour. I am looking into the River Rafting.
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Default Re: Cruise tour with Denali

I probably don't know the answer but for clarification to anyone that wants to answer this question, let me make a guess. Do you arrive to Denali from Anchorage after your cruise,,taking the train to Denali then spending 2 nights there,,,,or,, do you arrive from Denail via Fairbanks, also from the train, spending 2 nights there?

My cruisetour,,whcih was not double Denali,,arrived from Anchorage via the train at about 3 pm. We had only one night there. There would have been time after our arrival to do river rafting as the daylihgt hours were pretty long in August. The next morning we did the Tundra tour (which since you are on HAL must be part of the deal) which took almost 8 hours but we had left a 5:30 so had we a second night there (after the tour which ended about 2,,we were back on the train about 3:30) we could have done an excursion that afternoon.

So, it would, on paper, appear you would have time,,someone will probably will tell you and perhaps give you a better excursion choice (although from the train we did see people river rafting and it looked fun.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:08 AM
Passenger

We get off the ship in Seward and from there we head to Denali. Supposedly we spend two days there in Denali. Then we head to Anchorage and spend two days there.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Are you arriving Denali park the SAME day as your cruise arrival??? If so you are looking at 9 hours via bus, so I would assume you are overnighting somewhere in between? List your tour schedule and I can tell you how much free time you have.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Passenger

We go to Denali the same day the ship comes in. We end up in Seward and from there we go to Denali this will be on Sunday. We spend Sunday and Monday in Denali and leave for Anchorage on Tuesday . We spend all day in Anchorage on Wednesday and leave from there to the airport on Thursday.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:13 AM
Admiral

As I mentioned, you are 9 hours via bus, Seward-Denali Park. Unfortunately you miss worthwhile Seward. You will not have much time Sunday for anything. Monday- I'll assume you have the Denali park tour?? BE CERTAIN it is the Tundra Wilderness tour- ave 6-8 hours on a school bus. You have a 6 hour bus ride Denali Park/Anchorage if going by road, 8 hours if by train. So you can see- you have very little free time, except in Anchorage. Do you have an included Native Museum visit??? Very worthwhile, I would also suggest you request the Anchorage Visitor guide and plan out your day. www.anchorage.net
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:59 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

To build on Karen16's Native musuem,,I added one day in Anchorage just to be sure to see this and was really worthwhile. Actually, I booked the Grayline city tour just to use them as the vehicle to get there, since it is part of the tour. The Grayline operator said we didn't have to leave with him, we could take any Grayline bus back that may show up so if the hour they give you there is not enough,,you can hang around. Also if you want to see one of the silliest tourist traps in Anchorage, go to the earthquake museum and view thier film,,one of the dumbest things I have ever done,,,,it was so bad it was funny. The earthquakae was obviously a terrible thing (take it form a native Californian) ,,but this trap was not the way to present the tragedy.
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:26 AM
SEPyle

I'm also interested in time in transit. We're doing a cruise tour with Celebrity. We actually fly from Anchorage AM to Fairbanks, spending the night in Fairbanks. We then take the train/dome car from Fairbanks to Denali the next morning. How long does that leg on the train take or better put: What time should we expect to arrive in Denali?

The next day we take the train/dome car to Talkeetna in the afternoon. How long will that leg take and what time would you say we arrive in Talkeetna?

Then the next day I we leave PM again on the train/dome car to Anchorage. How long does this leg take.

Thanks for any input.

Sharon
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM
SEPyle

Default Re: Re: Cruise tour with Denali

I do believe I have found my own answer. Duhhh???

I did a google search for Alaskan RR. Isn't this the same train Celebrity uses?

If so does this sound right:

Fairbanks to Denali: 8:15am arrive in Denali: 12:01pm
Denali to Talkeetna: 12:01pm arrive in Talkeetna 4:40pm
Talkeetna to Anchorage: 4:40pm arrive in Anchorage: 8:15pm

Knowing my exact times will help me plan excursions not thru the cruise line.

thanks in advance again!

Sharon