CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Juneau kayaking (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/248023-juneau-kayaking.html)

christine19 March 1st, 2005 12:50 PM

Juneau kayaking

Does anyone have any suggestions for kayaking in juneau? I've found 2 options, either a "glacier view" trip that is 3.5 hours (not sure how much of that is on the water) in Auke Bay and a 6-7 hour trip through Goldbelt tours. Has anyone kayaked Juneau before?

nurd13 March 1st, 2005 07:04 PM

Re: Juneau kayaking

We kayaked in front of Mendenhall Glacier and definitely had a great time. By booking the half day excursion, we still had time to walk around the city on our own after the kayaking.

Karen16 March 2nd, 2005 07:00 AM

I have kayaked the Channel Islands.

Hondo March 2nd, 2005 09:28 AM

Hello:

There is also a company called Alaska Discovery but it looks like for Juneau, they only do Glacier Bay,

I'd still give them a call to see what they say. They may be able to offer advice or ...

I am planning on doing the Pack Creek with them next year so I'll be stopping by and talking with them in June.

Hondo

Karen16 March 3rd, 2005 07:06 AM

They are a booking agent. If you are looking at Pack Creek, I would suggest you book direct with the vender Alaska Fly N Fish, permits are necessary and they get a small allotment. OR you can obtain your own and then arrange your flight. But not doable unless you have a few days to play with.

Hondo March 3rd, 2005 11:52 AM

Re: Re: Juneau kayaking

Hi Karen:

Thanks. I was lead to believe that they were the actual vendor but I guess that's not the case.

I'm tempted to do the Creek on my own but I'll probably go through a vendor the first time than on my own the next.

Hondo

Hondo March 3rd, 2005 02:29 PM

Hello:

Well, I had to find out about next year any way so I gave them a call.

Alaska Discovery does run it's own trips. At least to Pack Creek where I'll be going. She also mentioned Glacier Bay but I didn't ask if they run that one or not.

For those who are thinking of doing this independently, it is possible. The biggest hurdle would be getting a permit. Alaska Discovery does rent out kayaks by the day. There is a campground on Windfall Island run by the National Park (I believe) and there is a flight service that will take you over (I believe I read $250.00) but I'm not sure what the min. number of people ect. This will have to be researched. I know there is at least one trip review of people that have done it independently.

I'll be talking to them later this year in June for next year. $450.00 is a little steep just to go over for 4 hours. You can spend roughly 1/2 that and get 2 days out of it.

Rogue