CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Tennis shoes or hiking boots? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/248050-tennis-shoes-hiking-boots.html)

cap March 10th, 2005 11:56 PM

Tennis shoes or hiking boots?

For walking around the ports and possibly on glaciers , which is better? I really don't want to pack both. Thanks for the input.

CruisinDenise March 11th, 2005 12:37 AM

Re: Tennis shoes or hiking boots?

Tennis shoes. If you go on a glacier walk, they'll provide boots.

Karen16 March 11th, 2005 07:01 AM

You are best to consider taking 2 pair of walking shoes, forget the hiking boots unless you are going for extensive hiking. I never have taken them and hike a few miles easily with sneakers. Glaicer landings- they provide boots if needed, but usually not, it is more like walking on concete than glare ice.

cap March 11th, 2005 09:38 AM

Re: Re: Tennis shoes or hiking boots?

Thanks for the input! As a first timer to Alaska, I just didn't know what to expect!!

pfopma March 14th, 2005 11:54 AM

A lot of the outdoor stores sell something called "trail shoes" - a cross between a hiking boot and tennis shoes. They are lightweight like tennis shoes but have better soles and traction for walking on uneven terrain. I bought a pair last year for hiking over lava flows in Volcano National Park in Hawaii (tennis shoes were not recommended). I've worn them a lot since and I am looking for another pair to take on our August AK cruise. I highly recommend them if you want to tavel light and bring one pair of shoes that are comfortable, durable and will serve many purposes.

Pat

Ford_Racing_Ron March 14th, 2005 04:20 PM

Lived in my tennis shoes on cruisetour (did have 2 pair) ,needed good shoes for ship,,,as stated,,big old ice boots loaned to us for glacier walk, was like walking on bubble wrap,,not slippery.

cap March 14th, 2005 05:58 PM

Re: Re: Tennis shoes or hiking boots?

pfopma-
That was my thought regarding the hiking boots! Where did you purchase your "trail shoes"? I thought a company like LANDS END would have some good ones, but were sold out of my size when I tried to order. I will start to look at other outdoor stores. Thnaks for the info!

Donna March 14th, 2005 05:59 PM

Just make sure that what ever shoes you take that they are not new and broken in, just a nice pair of comfortable foot wear. I had boots with me, but even at home I wear them all the time and they are broken in nicely and totally comfortable, thats whats inportant.

pfopma March 14th, 2005 06:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tennis shoes or hiking boots?

I got mine at a Campmor's store - they also have a website. I have looked for the same pair online but haven't been able to find them as there are now newer versions. In my search I found a place called Zappos.com. They have a big selection. If you have any type of camping/outdoor equipment store near you they should have a good selection. I wouldn't buy them without trying them on first. I bought mine in Jan and got a good price as I think they were a left over style from the previous summer.

Pat

cap March 14th, 2005 11:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tennis shoes or hiking boots?

Donna-
I will definitely wear them for a while before the trip. Last thing I want to get on film is me hobbling about because of blisters!

Pat-
Thanks, I will check out those store and see if there are any good deals left!!

Happy cruising everyone!!

Karen16 March 15th, 2005 08:31 AM

Another cheap option to consider, buy a can of waterproof spray and give a big dose to your walking shoes. You aren't going to need anything more unless you are looking at 5++ mile hiking.