Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM
ljones1

Default Alaska Excursions

Has anyone done the following excursions and if so please tell me if they were good choices and worth the price.
Juneau - Taka Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast
Ketchikan - Adventure Kart Expedition
Skagway - Pilots Choice Helicopter Odyssey
Also up for any suggestions. Thank you, Leslie
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:42 AM
SpTrout

Default Re: Alaska Excursions

We did the Taku Lodge tour last summer and enjoyed it very much. The food and the scenery at the lodge were great. But, actually the best part was the fight to/from the lodge. Unbelievable views of mountains and glaciers. What ever tours you decide on I recommend that at least one include a plane or helicopter trip.

http://www.takuglacierlodge.com/
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:55 AM
ljones1

Default Re: Re: Alaska Excursions

Thank you, I went to the site, looks like fun. Would you recommend
our 11 year old son doing it? Also, did you book through them or the cruise line?
Thanks for you help.
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:26 PM
SpTrout

Yes, we booked through Princess. I have never had any kids, but I would think they would have a blast on this trip. The seaplane ride is about 20 minutes or so each direction and you fly over some spectacular scenery. The meal (grilled salmon and sides) is all you can eat and takes about a half hour. The remaining time is open to roam around the area. The free time was a little long, but we just sat outside and enjoyed the views and the nice weather.
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Just conjecture here,,,In Scagway is the pilots choice a one or two glacier landing trip? Its probably not worth the $$$$ for the 2 landing trip.

I did the one landing there and I must tell you, this was not the type of glacier you see in the cruise ship pictures with giant calving glaciers. You fly out of the city to a valley called Valley of the Glaciers but most of the galciers are sheets , like all glaciers are, butthese are at the top of mountains and are fairly flat, not the type you picture that are miles long and like you see in Glacier Bay. I did this flight because for the tour I was on, this was to be my only chance probably in my life to walk on a glacier so I did it ( I am a cnacer survivor so you have to approach everything like you may not be doing it again so go for it). From pictures I have seen, Juneau seems to have far superior landings as compared to Scagway, and I don't know about Juneau but Temsco has the monopoly in Scagway. But I am sure Karen will shed some light on his. email me if you want offline and I will link you to my pictures of you want. Ron
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:00 AM
beckybear

From Taku Glacier lodge on the South to Skagway on the north is the huge Juneau Icefield. It is about the size of the state of Rhode Island. There are four companies in Juneau that do glacier landings. because of the sheer number of people in the air, some go to the south, some go to the Mendenhall and some go to the north. However if you are doing Taku glacier lodge I certainly wouldn't do helicopter flightseeing in Juneau.

Although people think of glaciers as all being alike they are not. So if you are doing a two glacier landing, it is because the pilot is going to show you two different formations.

I have booked people on yours for years and I have never had an eleven year old be unhappy with a plane or helicopter trip. The other one that kids love is the whale watch trip.

[url]http://www.Alaskapersonaltours.com
Old March 12th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Admiral

I have gone also to Taku Lodge- the flight is very nice and salmon ok, but salmon is available most everywhere. I found I was ready to leave long before we did, for a first time visitor, this cuts into Juneau touring time. My opinion only. A top choice for me is a glacier helicopter landing. I have done this 6 times, 5 out of Juneau 1 Skagway. All unique with glaciers in a constant state of change- so no predicting what you will experience. If considering flightseeing, I would just do that more extensively rather than Taku Lodge again my opinion only. The Ketchikan kart tours doesn't get overall good reviews?? At least none I have read???
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:27 AM
ljones1

Default Re: Re: Alaska Excursions

Thanks very much for all your feed back, I guess I have some pondering to do. Leslie