Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Beginner

Default Skagway

I will be cruising to Alaska in June. In Skagway I am torn between doing the train tour or going by horseback. The train tour is about 6 hours. I am trying to do the one that I would see the most. Has anyone done both??
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Skagway

Joni's horseback riding in Carcross gets consistant raves, book through Southeast tours. This would probably give you a good variety of commentary and a nice drive on th Klondike Highway entering the Yukon. Are you looking at a combo train/bus tour?? A regular round trip rail is about 3 1/2 hours. The train is significant for superior scenery, history and engineering. Determine what the priority is for you???
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Beginner

I guess it depends how old you are. The train doesn't offer much for activity as it is a sitting tour. Southeast tours goes to the Yukon horseback to Emerald Lk. the drive also follows the train tracks on the opposite side of the road and there are stops for pictures as well as the activity of horseback ride, more variety I think. I hope this helps and I know emerald Lake gets reve reviews...
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Zeyda

Default Re: Re: Skagway

I read your post about Skagway, and looked up Southeast Tours. I was torn between the White Pass and horseback excursion. I sent Southeast Tours an e-mail, and within 15 minutes, I got a call from them. I have re-considered the White Pass because of the long ride and not being able to open the windows...too confined for us. I will book the Yukon Horseback adventure with them and I can't wait. This way, we can see the area up close and not from a distance.
Old March 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

We stood outside the front of our rail car almost all the way back down on a beautiful day. Plenty of openess and fresh air that way. We had time to take the railway and also the streetcar tour. Both were fun.
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:42 AM
mslvp

I took the bus tour up into Carcross Canada - all 6 of us really LOVED it. We had a great guide.

On my 2nd trip in Skagway I wnet horseback riding but we just rode a few miles from where the ship was docked. I hadn't heard of any riding up in the Yukon by Emerald Lake - that would be fun. Maybe it's a new tour. I was in Alaska in '01 & '03.

Have fun!

***edited to delete commercial reference****
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Admiral

No it's not a new tour, Joni's horseback riding has been going for several years. You probably didn't consider anything but ship booked tours?
Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:04 PM
mslvp

You're right, in this case, I only looked at the ship tours. I was traveling with my parents & they're leery of anything but ship tours. So, I didn't check anything else out on that trip.

In foreign countries I'd ONLY use ship tours but in Alaska I would feel very comfortable in taking local tours. That sounds like a really nifty, fun tour.

[greatcruisinghome.com]