Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Default Whittier to Anchorage

Thanks to all for help on daytime clothing question. My next question is for the best way for two of us to get from the dock in Whittier to Anchorage airport, where we have rented a car for two weeks. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:14 PM
KeithB

Default Re: Whittier to Anchorage

You can rent a car in Whittier with Avis.

I did a drop-off in Whittier last summer. One-way drop-off charge was $100, but this allowed us to make a side-trip to Seward which was well worth it. Give it a try, you'll even have the opportunity to drive yourself through the long tunnel out of Whittier, stop along Turnagain Arm to see the sights, and also avoid a trip to the airport in Anchorage.

KeithB
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Admiral

The drop charge is now $125. With 2 weeks interior travel, they certainly won't be pressed for time- most likely anyway?? The most convenient transfer will probably be the cruise contracted bus to the airport. But the above advice getting an Avis car is more useful if you are spending time in Seward and Homer etc. and be well worth the drop charge in the interest of time. THEN when in Anchorage, consider switching to a cheap round trip Anchorage car if it works out for savings. Look at Alamo- they frequently run their $149/week specials, that I have gotten the past 2 years. Expect taxes to run about 25%+
Old March 24th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Canon

Default Re: Re: Whittier to Anchorage

I have a port day at Whittier 8 am to 5 pm. The cruise ship offers "Anchorage on Your Own" $99 pp, "Scenic Rail to Spencer Glacier & Float Trip" $160 pp, or "Portage Glacier, Alyeska Resort & Big Game Alaska" $140 pp. Would I be better off to rent a car and check some of that stuff on our own. My main concern with renting a car is having a problem getting back through the tunnel in time. Which sounds like the best option?
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Admiral

These are WAY overpriced options through the cruiseline. Going to Anchorage- forget it without your own transportation, the shuttle likely will drop off downtown, there is much more to Anchorage than that. For clairfication- Portage Glacier is a $25 trip, Big Game Alaska - which I think is the Alaska Game Conservation center??? is $7.50 and the Alyeska tram is $16. I would look into a round trip Whittier car rental, only option will be AVIS- reserve NOW. The tunnel on average is open 15 min./hour in each direction. The simple solution - is to have the schedule. There is a $12 toll. But a car would give you the wonderful option to explore the Arm, my opinion only, but this is a TOP scenic area for me. My other recommendation would be one of the glacier boat tours- just excellent and superior for extend close up views- if of interest.
Old March 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Canon

Thanks Karen!! I will be booking my Avis car shortly.