CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Budget (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/248086-budget.html)

jean lawrence March 22nd, 2005 08:48 AM

Budget

I have booked a 13 night cruise with NCL on Norwegian Dream for early June and since this was booked have heard some frightening stories of the price of drinks on some of these cruises. Like everyone, I also need to budget and would be grateful for any indication on prices for, wine, alcohol, mixers, soft drinks and tea and coffee (if these are also charged for) with this particular line.

antron March 22nd, 2005 09:14 AM

Re: Budget

try using www.cruiseclues.com. you can bring up your ship and they have links for menues and things like that . i hope you find a thread there that will help you.

Karen16 March 22nd, 2005 10:39 AM

Yes most certainly extra charges for all the above except coffee and tea- but tipping needed if you use room service for these. They run a drink of the day- usually around $4 with an automatic added 15% tip. Rest of drinks higher for large sizes. A can of soda runs- around $1.50/can again with the tip automatically added. There may be a soda card purchase option that would give you unlimited FOUNTAIN drinks? Are you also aware that you will be charged a $10/day/passenger service fee that includes tipping? As a cheap option, you can bring a case of soda on board easily, and no need to HIDE it. :)

pg March 22nd, 2005 11:53 AM

Bring some soda on baord, cooffe and tea are free( if you order it room service a buck or two is suggested for a tip) and juices are included at breakfast.

mslvp March 22nd, 2005 01:46 PM

Re: Re: Budget

I'm sure you could easily take wine onboard & have in your room. But, I'd put it in checked luggage & wrap really, really well.

On the NCL Wind a few years ago, I brought 2 2ltr bottles of soda-each wrapped in a towel & doubled wrapped in plastic bags in my big suitcase - yes, with all my clothes. Flew via 2 planes into Vancouver with no problems.

mslvp March 22nd, 2005 01:47 PM

I'm sure you could easily take wine onboard & have in your room. But, I'd put it in checked luggage & wrap really, really well.

On the NCL Wind a few years ago, I brought 2 2ltr bottles of soda-each wrapped in a towel & doubled wrapped in plastic bags in my big suitcase - yes, with all my clothes. Flew via 2 planes into Vancouver with no problems.

jean lawrence March 23rd, 2005 12:36 PM

Thanks for the website info. Have already spent time on it, not come across price of drinks yet, but find the site fascinating. I've a feeling it is going to cost me quite a bit of my time.

jean lawrence March 23rd, 2005 12:45 PM

Thanks so much for you quick response to my queries. I was aware of the tipping charges but a bit disappointed it will cost to have a drink in the stateroom and you wont be able to pour your own!

How much is a bottle of medium sweet wine, do you know?

I'll be posting more queries prior to going re shore excursions. Neither the USA nor UK NCL sites have excursions for the Dream on this particular cruise - think it must be fairly new. The Star and Sun concentrate on week long tours of Alaska but the Dream is a 13 day holiday and obviously calls at other ports. I visited my travel agent today and enquiries revealed the shore excursion list for this cruise is not ready for posting yet. The agent will obtain a copy for me as soon as ready and, in the meantime, I will keep checking the two sites.

Jean

Karen16 March 25th, 2005 06:46 AM

For shore excursions- look at the other sailings anyway. They will have the same tours since they are port based. This will give you the extra time to research and decide what you want to do in port. Also consider independent options- some are significantly superior.