Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2005, 05:31 PM
zc

Default Ketchikan

In Jeneau we're doing the helicopter trek, Skagway we've booked horseback riding and now deciding on what to do in Katchikan. Has anyone done the cruise to Misty Fjords? Is it worth it, or should I consider the Totem Village or other low key excursions to experience the city of Ketchikan?
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Re: Ketchikan

We're doing Misty Fjords Flight seeing with Sea Winds Aviation and Totem Bight State Park.
Depends on how long your ship is in port

Hey, I noticed you are in Tampa bay too. small world.
I'm in St. Pete, where are you?
Carole
Old April 1st, 2005, 07:13 AM
Zeyda

Default Re: Re: Ketchikan

Hi Carol, it is a small world. I'm in Tampa (all my life). I can't wait for this trip, there is so much to plan on, and my husband leaves it all up to me. He trusts my judgment, but I couldn't do it without asking others for their opinions. Someone else told me that you can't go to Katchikan without doing the flight in Misty Fjords. I think that I'm sold on it and the other person also told me about Sea Wind. I wonder what the difference is between them and the cruise line's vendor. They offer a 2 hour for just $20 more. Would you know?

Thanks!!!!!!! Zeyda
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:31 AM
chrisandem

Default Re: Re: Re: Ketchikan

My Hubby and I are also going to Alaska. Same ports. Carnival Spirit 6/8/05. We booked the Helicopter/dog sledding excursion in Juneau and the Misty Fjords float plane trip with Island Wings Aviation in Ketchikan. We are debating the Horseback trip to Emerald Lake in Skagway.

I've done alot of reading and research and the more I read and research the more confused I get (ha ha). I want to do everything!! However, I have heard nothing but great things about the plane trip to Misty. This is one I wouldn't want to miss. Good luck with your planning.

Chris
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM
Zeyda

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Ketchikan

Thanks Chris, it seems that we picked almost the same excursions. My first choice was the helicopter/dog sled, but read numerous times that it is often cancelled and decided with the Glacier Trek.

Have a great trip!!
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM
chrisandem

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ketchikan

Yea. I'm taking my chances with that ride. I guess I should start working on a back up plan. Oh ohhh....more confusion.

Have a great trip..
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Hi there all you Alaska travelers,

I would not make to many plans for tours. If you must, do one good one and save the rest of your time to walk around and pick up some goodies froma the local craft people.
I hear that the weather can change so I'm taking extra plastic ponchos to keep my camera gear dry.
I have already booked Sea Wind and they are less then the ships prices. They also have a larger plane to take more people to Misty Fjords land on a lake and back.
Check it out.
Carole
Old April 1st, 2005, 01:17 PM
Admiral

The Misty Fjords floatplane/boat combo takes up most of Ketchikan port times. Myself, I always round trip the flight. From the above it doesn't sound like ANY have gone yet?? Anyway- ship booked usually DO NOT allow you off the plane on to land, ALL flights land, but ship contracted usually only allow you out on the pontoons then you reboard and leave. I have flown with 3 independents, Southeast Aviation, Carlin Air and Island Wings, all have the potential to land and allow you OUT of the plane, superior for experience compared to the pontoons. If this is important- direct book and inquire about this landing. Alaska isn't a one time destination- you will have to come back.
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:49 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

I've mentioned this before and will do again. I did book independently with Seawind Aviation as Karen recommended (not the company but the independent booking part) .

I knew we would land but I was afraid my wife would fall off a pontoon,,sometimes she can be balanced challanged especially if she is in awe of something and looking around so I asked if we could step out on the shoreline instead and it was no problem.

And to answer the original question,,,yes you have to do the Mistys. One of the major highlights for me. If intterested,email me offline and I will link youto the pictures I took,,,just don't laugh because a couple of them are out of focus!! Ron
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:54 PM
Suzi P

We booked the floatplane/fjord cruise through Princess. Would booking through an independent be a better way to go?
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:27 AM
Admiral

My opinion only, yes the independents do a better job with Misty Fjords flights compared to ship venders.
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:09 AM
lgwilson

Default Re: Re: Ketchikan

I've already taken Karen16's advice and book my flight with Carlin Air directly. Can't wait to go in June!