Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Passenger

Default Do we have time for Victoria with an overnight at Vancover?

Our ship will arrive vancouver in the morning and we have an overnight stay at vancouver before leaving in the afternoon the following day. Will we have time to tour victoria. I'd rather go to victoria than vancouver. is there any day tour from vancouver?
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Do we have time for Victoria with an overnight at Vancov

I do not recommend Victoria as a day trip, just too much time in transit compared to at the area. I also always take over a car myself, just far more convenient than a bus. If you only have the day, I would consider switching your overnight from Vancouver to Victoria then ferry back your day of departure? Especially if you don't know your way around, you will likely eat up valuable time. Another suggestion would be to fly to Victoria the only recommendation I would consider with your short time. But frankly- you are better off seeing Vancouver with only a day available.
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

teresap:
Below is an older posting which you may find useful in picking a couple of things to do in Vancouver:

" Re: Bear Watch - Traitors Cove vs Neets Bay
Author: Patdor (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: 06-16-04 12:18

Hi Mike's Mom

Just returned from Alaska cruise. We stayed in Vancouver for 4 nights before cruise. We had a super time in Vancouver. We took the trolley ride around town, went to China town, Gas town, Stanley Park and the Aquarium and the reason for this reply, Grouse Mountain.

Grouse Mountain was great. You take a tram ride up the mountain to the top . I think the cost was about 23 dollars each, well worth it! At the top was a really wonderful restaurant , snack shop, store etc. Best and most exciting of all there was two Grizzly
bears in residence. You walk on a path to their compound. They were ophaned and are being raised by the people there. They are about 400 pounds each and still growing.
I was less than 2 feet from them. Between them and me was a thin wire fence, some what like turkey wire. On this fence was a small sign which said "Fence Electrified".
I jokingly said to my husband, "This is like Jurasic Park, I hope they don't blow a fuse while we are here". Fence or no fence, it was thrilling to be that close on a mountain top to two grizzlies. If your other bear viewing plans do not work out for you , I hope you can find the time to do Grouse Mountain a short seabus ride from downtown Vancouver."
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Admiral

I just took a look at the bcpassport.com web sight . We took two tours listed on that sight last fall. They run a Victoria trip out of Vancouver , but, pick ups are 8 am and 9 am
and they are 12.5 hour trips. You will not likely get off the ship in time to match up with either of those tours. They do a very comprehensive Vancouver and Northern highlights (Capulano Suspension Bridge) tour that leaves at about 11am . You might be able to make that one. We were taken to Stanley Park, including stops at Totem Pole exhibit and Prospect outlook, Capulano suspension bridge, Capulano Salmon hatchery,
all through town past all the stadiums , china town , gastown , etc etc. Tour was about 5-6 hours . Maybe that would work for you.
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:29 AM
mslvp

Yes, I think you could do Victoria in a day - a long day.

There are tours which pick you up (not sure if they'll pick up at cruise dock), take you on the ferry, to the Buchart Gardens & then time for shopping, or high tea at the Empress Hotel.

Have fun.

greatcruisinghome
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Do we have time for Victoria with an overnight at Va

i checked some victoria day tours and the pick-up time from the hotel is 8:30 AM...
our ship will arrive at vancouver at 7:30...so, i don't think there will be time...

i wish there's a tour coming directly from the ship but then we still have our luggages...
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Admiral

No you will not make a 8:30am tour departure. Having traveled to Victoria many times, I still say it isn't a day trip unless you want to fly.
Old April 9th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Terryg

Hi
Try www.bcferries.com. This is the ferry service to Vancouver Island.and their website has bus schedules on it.
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Admiral

http://www.pacificcoach.com

Pacific Coach lines does the bus tours, no BC Ferries.
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Admiral

should be not BC ferries.
Old April 11th, 2005, 12:56 PM
pg

Pcl also does pick up at the pier during cruise season.