Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:25 PM
lifelister

Default Shore Excursions for new amputee

Hi. Just booked Infinity 05/28/05 from San Francisco 12 day as 1st time cruisers. Love birdwatching and all nature. RV'd Alaska and took the Marine Ferry to Dutch Harbor in '01, sleeping on the deck. No experience with Inside Passage cities.

Husband lost legs last year. Walks on prostheses, a mile on easier surfaces, can do reasonable stairs with some effort. Cannot hike over rough terrain or climb over rocks. Recommendations really appreciated. Would love a whale watching trip, jeep offroad trip, railway. How hard is it to get in and out of these vessels/vehicles?? For instance, my husband cannot yet manage a kayak. Must be able to stand at regular intervals to relieve pressure from prostheses.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Shore Excursions for new amputee

Jeep tours never get good reviews. But whale watching shouldn't be a problem if he can manage a few steps? I would recommend a small boat and consider Orca Enterprises out of Juneau. Again the White Pass RR would be fine if he can manage a few steps? They may also have a handicap access? Contact them directly. The ports are walkable from the docks, but shuttles are available from Juneau and Skagway, which I would encourage you to consider using. You may also be inclined to use ship tours, since their pick up is right from the dock at the ship.
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Dbertell

My wife and I are taking the Infinity on May 16th out of San Francisco right ahead of you. She is in a wheelchair and can't walk, and we've done lots or research on both Juneau and Skagway.

The whale watching trip with Orca is wheelchair accessible and they have gotten glowing reviews from wheelchair passengers.

The White Pass train is also fully accessible, they advertise it that way and have a special area for the wheelchair passengers to sit.

I'm sure he would enjoy both of those a lot.

Also in Ketchican if you are interested, we booked the Misty Fjords plane flight on our own with Michele of Island Wings. She is also wheelchair accessible. Check it out.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
lifelister

Default Re: Re: Shore Excursions for new amputee

Thanks for your thoughts. Our cabin is HC7141 with a veranda, although I will probably want to be up on the bow 20 hours a day checking for pelagic birds. Thanks Karen for your many informative posts! And, DBertell, good sailing! Post info when your are done so we can see the latest advice. Thanks.
Diane Harris
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:47 PM
First Mate

He'll be able to stand on the train, no problem. I don't know about smaller whale watching boats, but on the large catamarans you can book through the ship, there's plenty of room for standing and walking.