CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   For a first time Alaska cruiser, what is the 'must not' forg (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/248185-first-time-alaska-cruiser-what-must-not-forg.html)

cherylroy April 28th, 2005 11:05 PM

For a first time Alaska cruiser, what is the 'must not' forg

For you alaska cruisers, what is your favorite souvenir - and what should we be sure to buy as souviners for ourselves -- and little things for girls back at work?? Thanks Going to Ketchincan, Skagway and Jeneau ( I know I spelled all those wrong..lol).
cheryl

Sea Trekker April 29th, 2005 05:39 AM

Re: For a first time Alaska cruiser, what is the 'must not'

Bring home a pet "killer whale" lol

Karen16 April 29th, 2005 07:12 AM

I have - for years, brought back "Alaska Jack" candy bars for co workers and my nephews' classes once. They have nice artwork on the wrapper and most everyone has "use" for candy. :) Best prices are at Walmart- there is one in Ketchikan. :) But plenty of other items to consider as well. :)

Ford_Racing_Ron April 30th, 2005 02:34 PM

My wife brought a ton of salmon back for her friends. Not that you can't buy it anywhere in the lower 48, she just thought it reminded her of Alaska (especcially Ketchican),,along with gold which she only brought back for herself.

I wanted something hand-made by a native.

Alaska Jack candy bars are good!! You can get those on the ship for 4 times the Walmart price!

Donna April 30th, 2005 05:46 PM

You will find totem poles at almost every port, I did pick up a crystal one, but that was difficult to find. You will also see lots of wood carvings, etc...seems popular as gift to bring back home, also we picked up some really good "fudge", so keep that in mind too.

tyttyx May 2nd, 2005 10:39 AM

I'm on northbound cruise tour. Ketchican is my first port in July cruisetour. I'll be travelling north for next 12days. Is this "Alaska Jack candy bars" a kind of chocolate ? Will it melt ? Wondering if this candy can withstand the next 12 days journey ! Any other ports having Walmart ? Are the prices the same at each Walmart ?

JUGL11 May 4th, 2005 10:16 PM

Bring home some salmon! Nothing says "Alaska" like salmon. Also, an Ulu knife - but don't forget to put it in your checked luggage. It will get confiscated if you have it in your carryon. We saw so many people lose their Ulu knives this way at the airport that we made a joke out of it - there are only 20 Ulu knives in the whole state, every week tourists buy them, they get confiscated at the airport, & the next week they're back on the store shelves!

Laureen May 5th, 2005 09:23 AM

Re: Re: For a first time Alaska cruiser, what is the 'must n

So are you saying the Alaska Jack bars are better priced on
board ship?

Ford_Racing_Ron May 5th, 2005 09:56 AM

Everything is about doubled the price of what it should be on the ship, I mean, when you're at sea what are you going to do???. The only deals come on the day before your ships finally docks when everything is 50% off for the closeout sale that they have every week when a trip is concluded.

Also, there is only 1 factory in Anchorage that makes Ulu knives (I think) so check where they are made. I noticed most of the "genuine" Ulu knives people were buying on my cruistour were made in China.

cherylroy May 5th, 2005 02:36 PM

Whats a ulu knife? And...how is the salmon packed???? Is it a bargain? I mean -- looking to buy about 10 little gifts for work people.
cheryl

Ford_Racing_Ron May 6th, 2005 09:53 AM

look at

www.theulufactory.com

its a knife used by native for centurys,,,

CruisinDenise May 6th, 2005 12:51 PM

I really liked browsing The Purple Moose in Skagway. It has some unique items, not like all the touristy spots. I got a light purple wine glass with an etched moose on it. :)

chrisandem May 16th, 2005 01:46 PM

Donna,

Do you remember where you picked up the crystal totem pole? I would love to get one.

Donna May 16th, 2005 02:47 PM

Hi Chery,
I only remember going all over Ketchikan looking for one, finally found one. We went at the end of the season, so I think that was a problem. If you are going earlier in the summer, you should see them all over. I actually loved walking around Ketchikan, lovely town, have fun shopping.

Cowboyninja May 17th, 2005 07:37 PM

The best thing I brought back were the MEMORIES!!!!
Planning a return on our 3rd aniversary, spent our honeymoon on the Radiance in 04 and cannot wait to return in 07 ( unless I suprise her in 06)