Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
julie73x

Default best alaska cruise

Hi. I am new to this board and would like some input from experienced cruisers. My husband and I are looking at going on a Alaskan cruise for our 10 year wedding anniversary next summer. Neither one of us has ever been on a cruise before. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what cruise line and where to go. We don't need to necessarily look at the cheapest, but I don't think we can afford the luxury cruises either. Any input would be great, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: best alaska cruise

You need to determine how much time you have to invest. This will determine if you have time for a one way or round trip. My preference for any one way is the ability to invest time also touring the interior. Some people do not bother, but it is very worth while in my opinion adding at least another week. Otherwise a round trip Vancouver cruise is just excellent, round trip Seattle cruises have more outside passage sailing. EVERY trip is a compromise, make the best choice for YOU. So consider ports, time in ports, Glacier, price. The ship is down the list for me.
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:58 PM
First Mate

Even the cheapest in Alaska is pretty good.

So the key becomes the itinerary. Look over which goes where, and what you would like to see. Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan are pretty standard. Some ships also go to Sitka and/or Icy Strait Point. Sitka's a cute Russian town with lots to do. ISP is a new port, so I don't know much about it except that the whale watching is good.

Some ships do Glacier Bay, which has some glaciers obviously, some do College Fjord, which has 16 (?) glaciers, some do Hubbard Glacier, which is gigantic, some do Tracy Arm, which has the twin Sawyer glaciers and is pretty. I've been to Hubbard and College Fjord, and am going to Glacier Bay soon, so I'll be able to compare, but most say Glacier Bay is a must.

So when you figure out what you want to see, it's easier to narrow down the ships that go there. Celebrity, HAL, Princess, RCCL and NCL cruise there, as well as one Carnival ship, Carnival Spirit, which is mine. I like the fact that it has reasonably priced balcony cabins. I love having a balcony in Alaska, and I use it all the time. Some (Karen for instance) like to be on deck instead as well as saving money for more Alaska cruises, but I wouldn't do it without a balcony.

So... narrow down where you'd like to go and we can help narrow down the ships.

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:24 PM
JUGL11

Itinerary is important. For Alaska, I'd strongly recommend the 1 way Vancouver to Seward. You'll see more, & the scenery will get better every day. We did this on Holland America (Veendam) & were very happy with every aspect of the trip. Holland America's ships have a wraparound Promenade deck, & that's a great feature for Alaska. Every time you turn the corner you get a different spectacular view. Carnival doesn't have the wraparound decks. I'm not a big fan of Carnival anyway, & especially in Alaska I think you could do better.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Have a great time!
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:11 PM
First Mate

JUGL, maybe you have been on older Carnival ships or Conquest class? The Lido deck on the Spirit is fully walkable front to back, although it isn't called a promenade deck. But I have a wrap-around balcony this time, so who needs it. Also, since there are many types of ships in their fleet, you shouldn't really lump them that way. Carnival Spirit is a lovely ship. I've actually heard rumors that everyone on HAL is 80+ but I take all of these stereotypes with a grain of salt.

I still like the cheap balconies, on any ship I could get them.

The very first time I cruised to Alaska, we were anchored in one of the ports--I can't remember which one. I wasn't at all cruise ship savvy. The Seabourn Spirit was anchored and tendering. I remember talking to my friends about what a horrible way that would be to cruise--no balconies! We really, seriously felt sorry for them and thought it was one of the rock-bottom cheap lines, especially because they didn't get a spot at the dock. Hee! Even now that I know of the Seabourn experience, I wouldn't trade it for my balcony in Alaska. Anywhere else, maybe.

Carnival Spirit to Alaska