Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:21 PM
mammag

Default Misty Fjords question

We will be on Serenade July 24th sailing. The documentation says that we spend a couple of hours sailing through Misty Fjords. If we are doing this on the cruise ship, is there any reason to do a floatplane over Misty Fjords (with a landing)? Or would it be duplicating.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Misty Fjords question

There is no dupliction with a fly in. There is much to see from above that you don't see from the water. But most important- if you have early dining- skip it that night and get out on deck. Very very scenic sailing.
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:24 AM
tyttyx

I compared the float plane for Misty Fjord between Southeast aviation, Islandwings and carlin air, all three at at the price of $199pp. But Southeast aviation states a 1-1/2 tour whereas the other two is 2hours. For those who had gone with the above choices, is southeast aviation covering less with the 30 min shorter tour time ? They do not fly to the same destination right ? What would you recommend given the same price but different tour hour.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Admiral

They all fly to different areas depending on the conditions etc. Can fly and land endlessly in the area- and definately no set route. I find timeframes estimates at best. Last time I went with Southeast, we were out longer than stated. Choose who still has space in the time you want.
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:15 AM
tyttyx

Thanks Karen for your advise.
Old May 8th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Delores

On our cruise on Vision of the Seas, we went through Misty Fjords. We skipped dinner & did the buffet later on so we could see all the scenery. It was really beautiful.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:37 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

We are doing the Island Wings and I believe they said they were the only ones that let you get out on land.I think with the others you walk out onto the pontoons ( if thats what they are called).I read one poster said that it was a quiet and peaceful 20-30 mins.Im looking forward to it!
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

FYI,,My wife and myself went with Seawind Aviation and I requested getting out on land vs. the pontoons (my wife is a little balance challange and I was afraid she'd take a dip) and it was no problem for them.
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:46 AM
Passenger

i just returned from AK and Michelle does land and let you walk around for 25 - 30 minutes. It is absolutely incredible! She is a great guide!!!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Admiral

There are now restrictions on Misty Fjords landings. I personally met up with Jim Kosmos of Southeast Aviation on Friday who confirmed this. I would assume that everyone will be affected by this?
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Captain

Misty Fjords is a place that I can only describe as spiritual. It was so beautiful it actually made me cry. Stop whatever it is you're doing and appreciate the wonder of the fjords, they are one of God's bestest things.
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:49 AM
First Mate

Carnival's ship excursion did land but you couldn't go ashore this year (we could in '03), our friends who took Island Wings still did. What are the restrictions, Karen?
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Restrictions on numbers of off landings. Southeast mentioned they are allowed 2 now?
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM
SusanCruiser

May 30, Jeff (Carlin Air) landed us on water next to an "island". We got out and walked around on the island for about 30 minutes. We were the only two on the plane...was awesome!

If you book independently, you can get out and walk around. If you book through ship, you are not allowed to get out.
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:33 PM
DALSAL

Default Re: Re: Misty Fjords question

We just got home last night,and I must say out of our 3 excursions,The Misty Fjords flight (Michelle/Island Wings) was the best of all.It was AWESOME! I cant say enough good things about Michelle.There were 3 men/3 women on this flight,and the men were a little hesitant to fly with a "lady".What can I say..they were very much impressed! And said they would never speak badly about women drivers/fliers again! She did say they were only allowing 2 flight trips each to land,and that she had other lakes that she did land on,but this was her favorite.And we all could understand what she meant.We had the lake to ourselves and just as we took off (after a good 30 mins) another plane was coming in for a landing.She took our pictures and told us some personal stories on the way back (nothing that would intefer with the flight) that made her even more endearing.We were all very pleased and I will definitely look her up if I ever return.I cant imagine that anyone could be any better although I know many ppl speak highly of the others,so I guess you cant go wrong with any of the float plane excursions to Misty Fjords.She did mention that the plane that landed as we were leaving was from the ship and that they would not get out on land,and that many would not even get out on the pontoons as its a little scary.I dont blame them for that! But go and enjoy! Dot
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Captain

Just returned yesterday from AK. Did the Misty Fjord tour with Michelle at Island Wings and she is terrific. We spotted a pod of orcas on the way back and she circled and circled til we had our fill. Great guide, I'd definately recommend her.