Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
tyttyx

Default Ports for Sea Kayaking ?

Which ports are recommended for sea kayak ? (Juneau, Ketchican, Skagway, IcyStraits, Alyeska).
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Ports for Sea Kayaking ?

Ketchikan has great kayaking. Great independent company is Southeast Sea Kayaks, many of us have enjoyed their Orca Cove tour, for its absolute tranquility while viewing scenery, bald eagles, and jumping salmon (time dependent) with very small group size ...max 6 people.

Juneau has some kayaking options as well. I believe Skagway/Haines area only gives you lake kayaking.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
tyttyx

Our cruiseship will be leaving Ketchikan at 2p.m. so only have time for one excursion. Wondering should I take floatplane to Misty Ford or Sea Kayaks. I have no preference to "must do" for which of these two, but want to want go for the "more recommended" one that I'm not able to find another "substitute" in another port/cities.

There is a 4hr50min Prince William Sound Kayak Tour in Alyeska offered by our cruiseship. Anyone been to this ? Any comment on this ?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:18 AM
Admiral

Misty Fjords floatplanes are a top choice here, expecially if you haven't been in a floatplane. The PWS Kayaking through the cruiseline remember probably has 2 hours of shuttle time added in, needing time for loading, tunnel etc. A wonderful area- does the description mention glacier viewing?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:54 AM
tyttyx

Default Re: Re: Ports for Sea Kayaking ?

The kayak trip from cruiseline did not mention glacier viewing, but mentioned its surrounding rainforest. Here's the extract :

/* "Enjoy an introduction to sea kayaking in the PWS! Begin your tour with scenic van transfer from your hotel to Whittier, Alaska. You will enter and depart Whittier through the longest reversible tunnel in North America. Upon arrival in Whittier your guides will outfit you with the proper kayaking equipment and offer an introduction to sea kayaking. Your stable sea kayak will allow novices, as well as seasoned paddlers to experience the natural beauty of PWS, with its surrounding rainforest. From the serene and natural perspective of sea kayaking, you will paddle amidst protected coves and waterfalls. Marome wo;d;ofe os frequently seen. " */

Reading the description from cruiseline, do you think it's a worthwhile trip ($124.88) ? I'll be staying in Alyeska Prince Hotel, is it a long travelling time to kayak ?
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Admiral

If it doesn't mention glacier viewing, then I would say you won't have any. And your kayak trip will be in one of the many coves. It's about 28 miles Alyeska/Whittier, plus there no doubt will be a tunnel wait, so my estimate of probably close to 2 hours total in shuttle time.
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:44 AM
tyttyx

I really hope to have a kayak trip. But after our ship disembark in Seward in the morning, we'll be heading to Alyeska and should arrive hotel by noon. Look around the web but couldn't find one that have kayaking trip for a afternoon trip after we reach Alyeska Prince Hotel. IF anyone has good recommendation, pls share.
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Are you on a tour to Alyeska?? If you have your own transportation the kayaking in this area is out of Whittier only. So you need to book this through your tour operator since you will need transportation, or if on your own, stay in Seward longer and go out of there. It's only about a 2 hour drive Seward /Girdwood. In Seward you can be off the ship very early if you choose- worthwhile to make the most of your time.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:15 AM
tyttyx

I'm on cruise tour #13 with celebrity. So think the only option I have is to book the kayak to PWS with my cruise line.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Yes without your own transportation for extra time in Seward- where Kayaking is just excellent, you are stuck with only going out of Whittier.