Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Default Will I have a problem if I but my ticket for Whitepass at th

I am thinking of just buying the rail tickets for whitepass on the day we arrive in skagway and i'll just get them at the depot itself. Will we have problems getting tickets? can a scheduled train get full?
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Will I have a problem if I but my ticket for Whitepass a

also, princess has this Yukon and Whitepass combination tour?

is it worth it to do both for $70 more...i am just thinking of doing the whitepass..

this is their description of the combined tour...

"Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway
A fetching combination of Experience the Yukon and White Pass Scenic Railway, this tour allows you to experience the beauty of the legendary White Pass Trail of ’98 from different perspectives.

Your adventure begins aboard a deluxe motorcoach that takes you along the Trail of ’98 to the White Pass summit and beyond to Canada’s Yukon. After cresting the White Pass summit, travel through
Tormented Valley and visit the village of Carcross near Lake Bennett.

Enjoy a tasty barbecued lunch at Caribou Crossing Trading Post. Visit the WildlifeGallery and see interesting exhibits of wildlife native to the region before departing for a ride aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route railroad back to Skagway."
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Passenger

Yes! Trains fill up, depending on number of ships in port. Buy it through the ship - ours was only $5 more through the ship than directly.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:58 PM
Becky Bear

You will probably be able to buy a ticket at the station. Depending on the number of ships in town the White Pass runs as many as 14 trains a day. You will not however be traveling on the same train as others from your ship.. If you book on the ship you board the train right at the dock. If you walk the few blocks to town then you will be on a different train. I don't see that you gain much by not buying on the ship. If you buy on the ship you will be assured of a seat.

As for the trip into the Yukon. That would combine the best of all possible worlds. You would get to enjoy the train ride and you would get to travel in a van that will be making photo stops.

Becky Bear
http://www.AlaskaPersonalTours.com
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:22 AM
Admiral

Most all cruiseline combo trips are in buses, not vans. The one way train and Yukon option is a good one. The train does NOT get into the Yukon 20 miles short in BC. So if your priority is to enter and say you've been there, this is your only chance. With a ONE way train - vitally important is your seating, from Skagway sit on the left side facing the engine, from White Pass sit on the right.

The train can fill up, but with a long port day- and flexability you should be able to get a seat if you head straight there and be prepared for the 8:30am train if the rest of the day is sold out.